Assigning a Static IP for MAC OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by insultcomicdog, Jun 20, 2007.

1. insultcomicdog macrumors newbie

Whenever I use my MBP we have to reset our router from time to time....

I'm pretty sure its the MBP that's causing the problem, b/c after not using it for the last two weeks, there hasn't been a problem with the router...

I was wondering if there is an IP conflict issue...

I have 3 computers, 2 PCs one wired the other wireless, and my MBP....

I know for my PC I was able to to assign a fixed IP address. This helped with port forwarding and P2P software. I find with my MAC the IP address changes every once and a while, and I have to change the ports for port forwarding.

So my questions are how to I assign a fixed IP for my MBP? Could assigning a fixed IP to my MBP resolve my router issues?

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this will really help your router issue, but if you want to assign a static IP to your MBP:

Go to system preferences
    Select network

Under "Show:" select your ethernet port (or airport if you're using that to connect to your router)

Then on the TCP/IP tab, next to "Configure IPv4" you can select manual instead of DHCP and assign your IP address, etc., manually.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Under System Preferences -> Network, choose to Show: AirPort and click the TCP/IP tab. You can choose DHCP with manual address and then type in the address you want to use.