Assigning functions to keys

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mknabster, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

I just read that Das Keybaord came out with a new one which has a sleep button tied to a function key. Now that got me to thinking, is there a way I cna program some of the empty function keys on my Mac keyboard to do such that? Since it's tougher now with Lion to go into standby, like with having to press the power button then sleep, instead of just closing the lid, it would be ncie if there was a one step way to do it. So, is it possible?

2. kzrconf, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

kzrconf macrumors newbie

The application Quicksilver has a feature called triggers that allows you to bind any of its actions (and there are tons of them in plugins) to any key.

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks it looks like a really functional application. Do you know if quicksilver has to be running though to use the keys I map?

4. simsaladimbamba

I don't know, but QS doesn't take up that much resources while running, thus you can safely let it start at login.
    I run Alfred, which is a bit similar to QuickSilver and better tailored for my needs and it doesn't take up any resources besides RAM (11.3 MB currently).

5. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know if Alfred could map function keys to put the computer to sleep?

6. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Download Alfred, it's free.

I think you can do it by setting a global hot key.

http://support.alfredapp.com/tutorials:global-hotkeys

Otherwise its just a two key press and type sleep in the window.

7. simsaladimbamba

Why is closing the lid on a Mac in Lion not letting the Mac go to sleep?

And what about CMD+OPTION+EJECT?

8. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

I can't really say why the computer won't go into standby, I was told by other members that it's because i have an external monitor hooked up to it, as shutting the lid just switches the desktop over to the other screen. I wasn't aware of that shortcut for sleep, i just tried it and it worked. So that's good, no need for the keyboard mapping anymore. Thanks for that tip

9. a-cut-above macrumors newbie

Similar request

I have a similar request to the OP. I enter a lot of numbers into forms with my right hand with the number pad on the wired Apple keyboard. I would like to make one of the functions keys above the keyboard, F16-F19, a "tab" key. Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to do that? Is there a simple wy of reprogramming the key without an app?
    (iMac, Lion 10.7.2)

10. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I second the Cmd+Option+Eject shortcut for sleep, which I see you've tried and like.

For future reference, in addition to the aforementioned products, people looking for something similar might want to try KeyRemap4Macbook (despite the name, it works on all [Intel?] Macs). I used it to get "iTunes" (actually use it for Spotify now) play/pause and forward/next keys on my plain external keyboard.