assigning icon to all files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dave12345, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

Hey guys - How do I assign an Icon to all my .wav files ? I know how to assign an icon to one individual file but not all the files of that type - Thanks for any help....

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

you have to replace the .icns image in iTunes or Quicktime to change the default icon of that file type

3. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply - I've changed my default media player to VLC and my icons for wavs and aifs have all changed to the plain white document icon. I can't work out how to change them all to something else - like the vlc logo....

Cheers

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

check VLC settings, make it the default. It should be assigning it's icon to the files it handles, but that doesn't always work for some reason.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And how would one go about doing something like this for, say, something else in the system, such as the icon for a CD or DVD?

Part two of this question is... how do I assign a default icon to an item for which OS X doesn't have an icon?

I'm talking about assigning specific icons to Blu-ray and HD DVD disks when I insert them into my computer. I want to know how to add these icons to the list of default icons and have OS X understand that they are to be assigned to Blu-ray and HD DVD disks.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Click the link in my signature below, and follow the proper link(s).

I used the method to assign a third-party icon as my external HDD, and so far it's stayed the same each time I plug it back in. It may also work for CDs/DVDs.