Assigning static IPs using Airport Express.

Xerov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2003
Nederland
Hey guys,

I need some help assigning static IPs to the computers on my network when using an airport express wireless router.

Here if my setup: Cable modem -> Airport express -> WDS -> Another Ariport Express.

When I go into the configuration all that I can use is DHCP, which Is what I need for the public side, but I need statics on the private side of the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciatied, I've checked google, but no luck it seems.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sorry I can't help you, but if you come across a networking expert who knows about assigning static IP addresses, let me know too. I've got a problem (see thread) nobody has been able to help me with so far.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Xerov said:
When I go into the configuration all that I can use is DHCP, which Is what I need for the public side, but I need statics on the private side of the network.
If you want your local lan to use static addressing, all you need to do is not have the Airport (Express/Extreme) distribute addresses. You would need to statically configure each machine. Or you can have a range of addresses be static and have the AirPort distribute a small range of addresses for the random machine you plug in.

What a DHCP server on a system can do that the AirPort cannot do is assign an IP address based on a machines MAC address.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Bear said:
What a DHCP server on a system can do that the AirPort cannot do is assign an IP address based on a machines MAC address.
I'm a little surprised that it's not part of the Apple routers' software. My old 802.11b D-Link wireless router had the ability to assign specific IPs to specific MACs.

It's not a critical issue, but it would be a nice feature - especially in a mixed-environment home network (Linux, OS X, Windows).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Westside guy said:
I'm a little surprised that it's not part of the Apple routers' software. My old 802.11b D-Link wireless router had the ability to assign specific IPs to specific MACs.

It's not a critical issue, but it would be a nice feature - especially in a mixed-environment home network (Linux, OS X, Windows).
imho, i think from a tech support view point, they choose not to do static ip's. just a guess though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.