Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photography: should we keep monthly assignments?

• Keep monthly assignments

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Don't bother; just have threads without time limits.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Abstract said:
Yeah, Applespider organized things the entire time and in April, I decided to help out by simply starting a thread to keep things going in April. Once I did that, I just volunteered to keep on going just like Applespider volunteered her time. I really don't know how Applespider walked into this in December or January (forget when), but before her, it was just "Ok, lets have assignments every month. Soooo........who wants to start?" This is sort of the reason I'd rather have just a few people, even a mod or 2 if need be, think of a topic and just give it to us. Why bother getting everyone involved in sorting something like that out. I'm sure a lot of people just want the decisions to be made, and the opportunity to go out and shoot.

And Chip wants to give us the topics beforehand, and that's something I always agreed with before and now. Instead of making this an annoying "process" for everybody each month, just feed us the topics. It can even be beforehand.

Well, to all of you who've kept it going - thank you :) . Keep it up, and don't let the "discussions" scare you off. Keep those assignments coming, and don't worry about whether they're simple or hard - - people will find ways to interpret them, and it'll be fun and enlightening to see the results.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Let it be folks, please. Part 2

Here is my post in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/196929/

Chip NoVaMac said:
Some may note that I have not replied to this thread since 4/29. That is because I thought it was better to try and let this die. Yet my thoughts and words has allowed us to lose sight of what photography and the spirit of MR is truly about.

Please read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197270/

There have been many new threads that have invoked the spirit of what I thought we on MR were trying for. There is room as the above thread has mentioned, for us all to have what we might want for photo discussions.

It is now for all to make their own choices of involvement in photo discussion threads. Too much time and energy has been taken up defending each others positions. Too much time and energy has been spent on attacks and counter attacks, with some not reading each and every post (i know that I am gulty of this in many threads here on MR - there are only so many hours in a day :) ).

As it is my right as the starter of this thread, I will be asking for the mods to close this thread. Not to wasteland it, but just to close it. I will only ask that it be left open for final thoughts till 12 midnight EST (a nod to JSW in another thread on MR recently).

All I will say in this particular thread is that JSW has asked and shown that there is room at the table for all.

It is up to Applespider to decide the fate of this thread. I have not responded since 4/29, hoping that the topic would die. Even though in the same day JSW asked for us to focus on what draws us to MR and the DPF.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Since the poll closed with the majority voting that the assignments should go forward, I've taken the liberty this afternoon of starting a thread asking for topic suggestions.

I suspect with the poll closed, this thread will rather quickly slide to the bottom of the page and into obscurity.

Let's get back to taking pictures! I'm a little miffed today since when I finally got my entry out of the camera for the insanity thread, it wasn't what I hoped. I found a situation with 8 buses coming one way down a street and 6 the other while only being able to use one side of the road and with a slightly drunken gentleman with a can of beer and a hand-rolled cig attempting to direct them down... I was waiting for it to lead to twisted metal but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.