Assistance fixing broken macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlashX, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SlashX, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

SlashX macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure where to post this, as at this point I am not sure if it is a hardware or software issue.

My friend has asked for my assistance fixing his Mac Book Pro that he had windows 8 on through bootcamp.

I work in IT, but primarily with windows, so am not very familiar with macs.

I will best explain what the issue is, and what I tried to resolve it.

MBP boots, loads windows 8 logo, gives blue screen of death (the sad face)
    MAC is no longer on this hard drive, so if we hold option key, only option is Windows.
    I tried a USB Drive with Windows 8 ISO on it, and held Option key to boot from it, but it did not recognize.

Tried same thing with MAC OSX Image (mounted using TransMac on my windows PC) and still does not recognize.

I also tried USB Drive with Recovery Disk Assistant created using my mothers mac book air, hold option key, it sees it, i boot into it, and get weird blue screen, will attach screenshot

Holding D key for diagnostics, same blue screen.

Holding Command R for recovery, goes to internet recovery, i put in wifi, and it downloads, and then blue screen.

Tried f8 for safe mode but it does not seem to work

I can get into Startup Repair, which brings me to the windows 8 start up repair screen, with a few different options.

I tried reinstalling the OS from this screen, it asks for boot media, I put my USB with windows 8 on it, and it said invalid boot media.

I attempted a System Restore, but the only date to restore to was 5/25 and the issue occurred before that date, this is still progressing at the time of this post. I believe it will fail, so wanted to see if others had more ideas.

I noticed I can access command prompt from the startup screen, not sure if that can make things any better (idea to put USB with bootable windows 8 back in, and use cmd to reflash using it if possible)

This is picture i took of "blue screen" that tends to happen https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b2QssYEu9ZN3JBUW96amJraGM/view?usp=sharing
    This is a pic of the blue screen of death windows 8 gives, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b2QssYEu9ZM0hsTzNzeEV5Rkk/view?usp=sharing

besides the above 2 scenarios, there are no odd screen glitches. If they were always there i would think issue with graphics, but right now i think issue is with hard drive

2. redshifted macrumors regular

redshifted

If it's a 2011 era 15" or 17" MBP I'd say it looks like a graphics chip logic board failure. The first pic looks just like the last screen I saw on my 2011 17" when it died for the last time.

3. SlashX thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping it wouldn't be that. The error message tells me a video card driver issue, but it still could the graphics chip.. Anyway I can confirm that?

I do believe this is a 2011 era MBP and it is 15in

4. redshifted macrumors regular

redshifted

Mine quickly failed the hardware test at the Apple store. It should be covered under Apple's extended repair program so you should be able to take it in. The fix is a free logic board replacement.

Mine went through 3 logic board failures and four repairs before Apple replaced it with a new MBP. Every time it failed the screen looked different but the last one looked just like your pic.

5. SlashX thread starter macrumors newbie

So the extended repair program is still going to be active? Hmm. I did not think taking this machine to the apple store would be an option.. Especially with MAC OSX removed, and only a not bootable windows 8 is on it, and the fact it is nearly 5 years old.

6. redshifted macrumors regular

redshifted

The 2011 MBP repair program lasts until Feb. 2016. I don't know about the Windows only aspect of your situation but I would think that the hardware would be covered.

Good luck

7. SlashX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, will give that a try.