Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliverS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Greetings.

A friend of mine recommended me this website, so I just registered, hoping that you can assist me in making my decision of which MacBook I shall purchase.

I'm a student at Nærum Gymnasium in Denmark, and I'm primarily going to use my MacBook to write notes and assignments, prepare presentations, use spreadsheets, and what else it includes to be an active student. Other than that, I have a great passion for music, and I use a lot of my time to play, create and listen to music. A friend of mine told me about the possibilities of recording, mixing, produce and play music on Mac's.

As for the price, I don't want to spent more money on something I don't need. I was looking at the white MacBook with 2.2GHz processor, and I think that's a qualified notebook that will satisfy and meet my requirements and my demands.
I think that the MacBook Pro is a bit too expensive, and then there's the new MacBook Air. I don't have the possibility of having wireless internet at my home, and I use more than one usb-slot, and then I also think that you pay more for the design and the stunning thinness, instead of it's performance.
What shall I buy?

The MacBook looks very fine, but it has been on the market for a long time now, so is it a good buy? I just don't feel like spending so many money on a notebook that can be replaced by something better in a few months for the same price. I'm a poor and young student, and I can't just waste money.

Thank you very much,

Oliver.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I think the MacBook would suit you very well, and after your purchase a RAM upgrade would be very good too, improving performance a little.

OliverS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I think the MacBook would suit you very well, and after your purchase a RAM upgrade would be very good too, improving performance a little.

Hi samh004 and thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate that.

Anyone else has any opinions or comments on my post?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Yup, go for the White 2.2GHz MacBook. It's got a DVD burner (that the 2.0GHz MacBook doesn't). Choose the biggest hard drive option that you can afford. Get the basic 1GB of RAM but max it out to 4GB with 3rd Party RAM, because that'll be much cheaper.

Obviously the MacBook will be updated at some point, but I don't think that'll be within the next few months, and I can't imagine it would be a significant update anyway.

It will do all your basic tasks, and will run GarageBand just fine for your music - and will even run Logic Express/Pro if you decide to upgrade to that in the future.

With the MacBook Air, you're paying for the thinness and getting a machine that is much less powerful than the MacBook. And sure, the MacBook Pro rocks, but in your situation as a student I think the MacBook is the best deal.

SL

OliverS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Get the basic 1GB of RAM but max it out to 4GB with 3rd Party RAM, because that'll be much cheaper.

Sounds good, but where should I look for those 3rd Party RAM?

With the MacBook Air, you're paying for the thinness and getting a machine that is much less powerful than the MacBook. And sure, the MacBook Pro rocks, but in your situation as a student I think the MacBook is the best deal.

Alright! I think I'll go for the white MacBook.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Sounds good, but where should I look for those 3rd Party RAM?
Shop around... just about anywhere will be way cheaper than what Apple charge. I don't know where would be the best place to get it in Denmark, but to give you a guideline, in the UK Crucial charge £65.79 incl VAT & delivery. There's probably even cheaper suppliers than that too, particularly in the US.

SL

OliverS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Okay thank you everyone.

So this is what it'll look like when I buy it from Apple's Online Store:

* 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
* 120GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)
* Keyboard & Mac OS

* 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo
* Double-layer SuperDrive
* AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
* Power Adapter
* Battery

Does it look alright? I'll might have more RAM on, as you told me superleccy.

Now I just want someone to confirm. Is this a good buy? Do I get much for my money? Will this notebook meet and satisfy my needs?

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
It looks great!

120Gb hard drive is a bit small though if you're going to have lots of MP3s, video files or RAW photographs, or want to install Logic for your music. Maybe select a bigger hard drive option if you can afford (and if you need it).

However, the hard drive on the MacBook is actually user-upgradable (unlike on the MacBook Pro), so if you do need a bigger hard drive in the future, it's not the end of the world.

SL

speedchris

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
I also just ordered a white Macbook and I also did make up my mind about the MacbookAir. But after all, I don't wait for a Macbook Update, cause I think it will only get a design update and a little speed bump.
I ordered the smallest Macbook and got 4 GB Ram to max it out. I'm a Mac user for years and you will be just fine with the Macbook you ordered. I chose for the little one because I never burned a DVD on the road an I have an external burner at home.
And as a student, you better save the extra $ compared to the MB Air. You will use your MB a lot and you don't sit in an office. So you're better off with a MB.

Have fun!

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
It looks great!

120Gb hard drive is a bit small though if you're going to have lots of MP3s, video files or RAW photographs, or want to install Logic for your music. Maybe select a bigger hard drive option if you can afford (and if you need it).

However, the hard drive on the MacBook is actually user-upgradable (unlike on the MacBook Pro), so if you do need a bigger hard drive in the future, it's not the end of the world.

SL

When you are looking for ram, also get a price for hard drives. You could find that it's cheaper to buy your hard drive third party, if you want a larger hard drive. The other option is an external drive.

Also, you are a student, and to buy it from the Education store on the Apple website.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
When you are looking for ram, also get a price for hard drives. You could find that it's cheaper to buy your hard drive third party, if you want a larger hard drive. The other option is an external drive.
You may well find that a 3rd party hard drive isn't much cheaper than the corresponding BTO option, plus you've got the hassle of fitting it and re-installing the OS and apps from day 1, and the risk that it's not quite right. 3rd Party RAM, on the other hand, is definitely worth the aggro.

External hard drives are a pain with a laptop, IMO. It's much nicer to have all your stuff with you.

But you should probably get an external HD anyway for Time Machine.

Also, you are a student, and to buy it from the Education store on the Apple website.
Wise words indeed.

SL

darkane

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
SLC, UT
Santa Rosa chip?

I just bought one and put 4GB of ram in mine but I was wondering if the 2.2 white Macbooks have the santa rosa chip in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.