Assistance in selecting a new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamtambakau, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Which laptop should I purchase for a 6-week backpacking trip in Aug/Sept 2016?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. Macbook

80.0%
  2. MacBook Pro

20.0%
  1. adamtambakau macrumors newbie

adamtambakau

So just a quick preface - I am doing a 6 week backpacking trip through Europe in August/Sept and will definitely be purchasing a new laptop so I can work on the go. My work will involve web development, graphic design & video editing.

Ok, so since I will be travelling heaps, the new Macbooks seem like a great option considering how light it is! However, I am concerned for its ability to process video work while I travel. If I purchase a Macbook, I will get the upgraded M7 processor.

I also know all current MBPs available will be able to handle all this, however this is probably the worst time to purchase an MBP since its speculated that Apple is going to be releasing new ones in the next quarter.

The video work will not involve heavy VFX, mainly basic editing, captioning and color correction. My thoughts right now is to purchase a new laptop and use it for my trip, and then consider selling it after the 6 week trip is over.

What are your opinions regarding purchasing between a Macbook or an MBP, and their potential resale values in October this year?

2. Louwen macrumors newbie

Louwen

1 vote for Macbook.

The portability is fantastic, and it sounds like it will suit your needs.

I guess the resell value will also be better, since it's a newer model, and - as you say - this is probably the worst time to buy a MBP, resell-wise.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're asking to much out of the mobile processor in all honesty. While the apps will run on the MB, the performance will be lackluster.

4. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Do you edit video with Premiere or Final Cut? The MB handles FCP pretty well but really struggles with Premiere Pro. I'd suggest also considering the screen size differences. I occasionally have issues seeing the light gray lines of the lasso tools in Photoshop on the 12" screen.

On the upside, the size and weight makes the Macbook the perfect travel device.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBook will definitely have a better resale value since new MBPs are imminent. It also sounds like the MacBook is enough for your rather basic editing needs. Besides, if you buy one now you have enough time to try it out and then return it within the 14-day period in case the MacBook isn't cut for you in terms of performance.

I would suggest Incase's Tensarelite sleeve regardless of which Mac you get. It's a very protective, yet slim sleeve, which will be great for backpacking where the Mac may take some beating.

6. adamtambakau thread starter macrumors newbie

adamtambakau

Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions guys! I am definitely swaying more on the Macbook now. Will let ya know what I purchase in 3 days time!

@Hellhammer Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check if that's available in store!