Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jam979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
I'm starting grad school in exactly two weeks, and since I have some extra money that must be spent on educational expenses, I've decided to get a MacBook (just can't imagine spending the money for an MBP though technically I could) using my educational discount. :D However, it can't ever be a simple decision with me, so I have a few questions:

1. I primarily use my computer for word processing, email/ internet, occasional photo editing, and watching DVDs/ TV episodes on occasions when I'm away from home and need to keep myself entertained. My mom thinks I should upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB, but I think 1 will be plenty. However, I've read that it's sort of tough to get new memory cards to seat correctly in MBs, and I'm scared to death of damaging my machine if I do that. So, should I upgrade and pay the money to have Apple install it from the beginning, or should I wait and see how it does with just 1 GB and buy more (I found a 4GB kit for $100 at OWC yesterday.) and install myself later? (Note: Doing it myself is my only option if I don't do it when I order as there isn't an Apple store for 100 miles.)

2. I'm most likely upgrading to a 120GB hard drive. Should I just go ahead and buy the more expensive white MB (the $1299 one)? Part of me thinks I shouldn't since I hardly ever use disc drives, but part of me thinks it would be really cool just to have the ability to burn DVDs.

3. Does anyone use iWork? Or Office for Mac? I have an old, old copy of Works on my current computer because MS used to include Word in it. iWork appears to have the basic programs I would need, but I don't know anyone who's ever used it. Everyone I know- PC or Mac user alike- uses Office. However, if iWork offers the same quality and capabilities, it would be worth it to me to spend less. So if anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated since I'll have to have one or the other installed pretty quickly.​

Sorry for being so long-winded. I hope someone can help me with these questions!

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I'm starting grad school in exactly two weeks, and since I have some extra money that must be spent on educational expenses, I've decided to get a MacBook (just can't imagine spending the money for an MBP though technically I could) using my educational discount. :D However, it can't ever be a simple decision with me, so I have a few questions:

1. I primarily use my computer for word processing, email/ internet, occasional photo editing, and watching DVDs/ TV episodes on occasions when I'm away from home and need to keep myself entertained. My mom thinks I should upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB, but I think 1 will be plenty. However, I've read that it's sort of tough to get new memory cards to seat correctly in MBs, and I'm scared to death of damaging my machine if I do that. So, should I upgrade and pay the money to have Apple install it from the beginning, or should I wait and see how it does with just 1 GB and buy more (I found a 4GB kit for $100 at OWC yesterday.) and install myself later? (Note: Doing it myself is my only option if I don't do it when I order as there isn't an Apple store for 100 miles.)

2. I'm most likely upgrading to a 120GB hard drive. Should I just go ahead and buy the more expensive white MB (the $1299 one)? Part of me thinks I shouldn't since I hardly ever use disc drives, but part of me thinks it would be really cool just to have the ability to burn DVDs.

3. Does anyone use iWork? Or Office for Mac? I have an old, old copy of Works on my current computer because MS used to include Word in it. iWork appears to have the basic programs I would need, but I don't know anyone who's ever used it. Everyone I know- PC or Mac user alike- uses Office. However, if iWork offers the same quality and capabilities, it would be worth it to me to spend less. So if anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated since I'll have to have one or the other installed pretty quickly.​

Sorry for being so long-winded. I hope someone can help me with these questions!

1. The Macbook is definetly great for what you need. But I would say upgrade to 2gb, it never hurts to have more RAM. Installing RAM isn't too hard, but if you really dont want to do it, what you can do is, Buy the RAM (Not From Apple) and take it to any Computer Shop, or Someone you know that is Computer Savy and get them to install it for you.

2. Get the $1300 one, I have it and its great. If your spending the money, might as well spend it well.

3. I personally don't like iWork, BUT It is a very affordable option compared to Office, also currently Office Is Slow because it was originally made for PowerPC macs, but OFfice 08 is coming out in Jan or Feb, and if you buy MS Office now, you will get a free upgrade to 08. If money is an issue, then get iWork, it does everything that Office does, but more prettily. Get office if you want to stick to what your familiar with.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
1. Since you are afraid to do it yourself, buy the machine from Apple with the memory pre-installed. This is not advice we usually give but for your $150 you are getting 1 GB of extra memory and relief from your fears. Many of the people who council against this have Blackbooks. For their $150 they got black.

2. Since you want the larger HD, buy the middle model. The difference is $50 for which you get a slightly faster processor and the Superdrive. Worth it for the price even if you never use it (but maybe you will).

3. I prefer iWork to Office. However, if you must be totally compatible with Word (meaning your professors require papers submitted in Word or you must collaborate with people using Word), then you need Word. If you do involved spreadsheets, you need Office. If you must give second rate presentations, you need PowerPoint. Otherwise, I prefer iWorks. There are many choices, however, if you don't need to collaborate with people using Office.

Best wishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.