Assistance needed with 2006 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thesaz123, Dec 16, 2013.

1. thesaz123 macrumors member

I have a 2006 iMac ( one of thesehttp://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17.html )

The computer is having some... issues, and I am unable to diagnose the problem. From the attached image, would you say this is a screen issue, or a graphics card issue?

If it's a screen issue, i'll replace it. If it's a graphics card/logic board issue, I won't bother with it.

Anyone experience this problem?

(PS, sorry the picture is upside-down, don't know how that happened...)

Attached Files:

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I'd say graphics. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the 2006 iMac known for graphics problems?

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

OP,

it would help, if you could specify, if these issues (which sure as X look like a GPU issue) are permanent (from boot to shutdown), intermittent-persistent (happen now and then, go away only with a hard boot), intermittent-spurious (happen now and then, go away by themselves) or symptomatic (show a tentative or clear cause-and-effect relationship, such as "Whenever I play GPU intensive game, this happens").

FWIW,
    The model in question has been known to have GPU issues, most often related to acute overheating, either due to dust accumulation or fan malfunction or caused by thermal stress (long-term effect of high temperatures).

Unless we're talking about "permanent" issues, and unless you know, that your machine has been serviced within the last two-three years, I'd recommend trying to clear out some of the dust your machine will surely have gathered.
    See the ifixit repair guide at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+17-Inch+CPU+Fan+Replacement/899 (Step 8 and a can of compressed air will do).

RGDS,