Assistance on Jailbreaking Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pronojitsaha, Jun 18, 2011.

1. pronojitsaha macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having a iPhone 3G with 4.2.1.

1. I want to know whether running jailbreak will wipe my data/apps or not?

2. Also if I want to revert to factory settings, will I be able to do that after jailbreaking and how? Any links to same. I read somewhere that updating to baseband 6.x.x doesn't allow you to restore to stock firmware? What is actually meant by stock firmware?

Though this may be general inquiry, but I have still not able to search a concrete answer. Look forward to this which will help me a lot.

Thanks.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Jailbreaking your iPhone will not delete anything off it.

Upgrading the baseband is for unlocking only. If you were to do this, if you chose to restore you would need a custom firmware.

3. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your response. About restoring, how can I revert to stock firmware after jailbreaking. Well if I take a backup now just before jailbreaking and then restore from this backup, when I want to move back, then will this work? Will I have all my apps and settings as before jailbreaking?

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yes if you ever want to revert back to stock you can just restore from backup. Everything will be like before jailbreaking.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi labman, thanks for the stickies. They r great. I think I m ready to join the free world nw!! Just one thing, what is SHSH and shuld I b worried abt it considering I want to jb 4.2.1 and never want to downgrade, just a restore to 4.2.1 again is things go wrong?

Thanks.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can't restore to 4.2.1. You can only restore to the current iOS. Restoring to anything other than the current iOS requires the blob for the iOS you want. From your thread, I'm going to guess that you don't have it.

8. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, my current iOS is 4.2.1 on a stock iPhone 3G. So if I jailbreak and then want to restore, then I will b restoring to stock 4.2.1 only using iTunes restore and backup. So am I good here? Do i still need to care about SHSH blob?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No. Did you read what I wrote? Read it until you understand.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no you can only restore to the latest iOS the one apple is still signing which is 4.3.3, you need to use tinyumbrella to save your shsh blobs so you can do what your asking but the problem is you can only save the blobs while apple is still signing that firmware

so you can still jailbreak 4.2.1 but you can never restore back to it

11. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I think I am missing on something here. iPhone 3G support only till 4.2.1 (correct me if I am wrong). So after jb if I want to restore, which version of os do I go to? I dnt think we can istall the 4.3.3 on iphone 3G? Does that mean i can never revert to stock firmwre?

In earlier posts everyone confirmed that backing up before jb and then restoring from that backup will do the work if I want to revert back?

Please assist.

12. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

i believe you are correct, 3g only goes to 4.2.1. so yes if you restore you will go to stock 4.2.1

no matter what, like the posters above have said, if you do not have the blobs save for a firmware while apple is signing it, then you must go to what ever firmware apple is signing currently for your device. (which for iphone 3g is 4.2.1)

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

the 3G can restore to 4.2.1 as that is the latest supported software and still being signed. You can also restore to 3.1.3 if you want. Either one is able to be jailbroken.

If you want to remove the jailbreak, you must restore in itunes and that will reset your phone to factory state. At that point you can restore your backup.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For some reason, I had misread your original post and thought you had a 3GS. My apologies for the confusion.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

likewise i was thinking 3GS

16. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the inputs. So finally summarizing for the forum, if anything goes wrong after jb then I can just restore to stock 4.2.1 (which is the current version of iphone 3G) by hitting the restore button on iTunes, setting it up as new once and then restoring from backup (taken before jb) to get back the data.

Thanks All.

17. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Yeah just make sure you don't update your baseband to the ipad baseband when you jailbreak.

18. stunter2b, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

stunter2b macrumors member

stunter2b

Hey "pronojitsaha" I have the same phone and 4.2.1. wondering what you are going to use to JB your phone? I have a windows base pc if that matters.

I seen that I can use something called "RedSn0w" is this the better tool to use to JB my phone or is there something better?

I'm a complete noob and want to jb my phone also. Not sure where to start but it seem this forum was for sure the best place to start getting info.

19. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Stunter2b,

I can certainly tell from my experience in this forum that redsn0w is good. Details on how to use the same can be found on Iclarified.com, select Jailbreak then just select the appropriate options and it will show you a detailed guide on how to use redsn0w.

Also create a backup of your phone first before jb, this way if something goes wrong after jb, then you can just do a "restore from backup" option in iTunes and your iPhone will be back to original. So go ahead and let us know how it went.

20. stunter2b macrumors member

stunter2b

I went to that site and when I tried to download "Download RedSn0w from here" the link is dead where else can I download the correct redsnow for my 3g 4.2.1?

21. sallyomally macrumors newbie

Should i unjailbreak my iphone?

i bought an iphone off ebay which is jailbroken unlocked and was previously locked to optus. i wanted to update the apple software on the iphone and i dont mind not having the jailbreak because i dont know how to use it and i dont need it. if i restored the iphone and then updated the software would it get rid of the jailbrea/unlock? and would it be locked to optus again? my provider now is with optus. can i ruin the iphone by playing around with it? would it end up not accepting any provider? is it safer just to leave it or what?
    PLEASE HELP QUICKLY!!!

22. stunter2b macrumors member

stunter2b

If it were me I'd leave it jailbroken and I would NOT update the software on the iphone for now. the way I see it for your case if your phone is working with your optus provider then I would leave it alone. That old saying if it ain't broken don't fix it....Again this is my .02 and I've very new at this whole JB and Iphone stuff.

23. pronojitsaha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, even I had the same problem. Just googled for the version of redsn0w given on iclarified.com and downloade from some external link. I m on mac, so you can search for the windows version.

24. Ninos4Mac macrumors newbie

Jailbreak 4.3.3

Hey guys i am just a bit confused with the jailbreak thing on iphone 4. I ve bought an iphone 4 from Apple Store factory unlocked like months ago and i jailbreaked it to 4.2.1. However i was curious with the bluetooth task on 4.3.3 jailbreak and i have decided to try 4.3.3 guessing that no problem will occur. I ve been jail-breaking my (iphones) a long time now however when i tried to jailbreak it 4.3.3 firmware i had no signal

1st (how could this happen if i bought it factory unlocked?)
    2nd ( When you say that i can jailbreak 4.3.3 with base-band 04.10.01 you mean i can do that but i will not get signal and i am gonna have to by those stupid sim cards in order to get signal?)
    3thd ( i ve managed to restore my iphone to the original software (4.3.3) via another computer (pc not mac) by changing the command services.

The thing is i have been used to a jailbreak iphone... now can anyone help me with this enquiry because i am freaked out and i do not want my itunes to go crazy again stating error 1013.

Thank you and sorry for the attitude!!