Assistance Setting Up Mail.app for AT&T Yahoo! IMAP

johnjay1776

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
OK, so, it appears that my AT&T Yahoo! mail account uses IMAP to push mail messages to my iPhone. However, every time I try and set up the AT&T Yahoo! mail account in the OS X Mail.app program, it sets it up as a POP account. Can I not have that set up as an IMAP account in Mail.app too!? If not, why? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I don't believe Yahoo! supports IMAP access on desktop email apps. It only supports POP if you have a Yahoo! Plus account.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Fairly certain Caleb531 is right; I ran into the same problem when I tried to get two Macs set up to both access my at&t-supplied email account, and found the answer deeply buried in the documentation somewhere. Support and documentation for at&t email is abysmal.

If you're not married to that particular email address, I'd recommend just using another service that allows IMAP instead. Not the biggest Google fan, personally, but gmail does work quite well for this.

johnjay1776

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Well, that's a bummer. I'm with one of you in the sense that I can't stand Google. I can work with the POP3 account if it means going with gmail. :)

Thanks for the feedback though. It doesn't make any sense to me why they'd allow IMAP for iPhone and not for desktop. I'm sure someone out there knows why but it isn't me.