assistance with Airport extrem(s) and express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by j2048b, Apr 22, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I currently have this set up:

verizon westell 327w versalink modem
    1 AEBS (n) for wireless Actually running n with compatible b/g mode

(can you set it to "n" 2.5 ghz and still have b/g devices connect?)

I have an older sphere white b/g AEBS (in the closet collecting dust)

and have another AEBS (N) on its way

along with an airport express

I was wondering if i could set up the newer (n) model somewhere else in the house to use the ethernet ports WITHOUT setting it up as a WDS?

if so would it be of better benefit than using 1 airport express?

I have a 2 story house and have 2 ps3's 1 up stairs along with a laptop , and downstairs is a 1 ps3, laptop, wii and xbox, and want the best connection speed i can get.

or should i just use the express downstairs with the ps3 and have the express added to my wireless network as a access point?

I know i have a ton of stuff!!

2. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Yes. It will be dog slow, however.
    No. Unless you wire it to the AEBS that does the routing for you.

You've got a mess, not a network.
    1. Set up AEBS to 5 GHz n-only for n-enabled computers. If your house is too big and 5 GHz won't give the necessary range, go 2.4 GHz, but start with 5.

2. Set up APExpress as a repeater for the n-network. Attach the sphere to it using ethernet and use it as an access point to create a b/g network. This will cover your b/g needs. If your b/g range will be too small, attach antything b/g with a cable to your main AEBS and create another b/g network (or better yet - set up anything b/g as a repeater for the first network created).

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice

as of now i have NO 'n' rated computers, so if i put it to n 5 ghz then it would be pointless correct?

if i set it all up as you describe, then i will have 2 wireless networks correct?

I am not sure how to set items up as repeaters, or how i would set the sphere up as an access point? or if i need to because i have no "n" rated devices.

As of now, i have a mac pro/dell inspiron tower/ and AEBS all connected hard wire to my verizon westell 327w,

everything else explained above is wireless at the b/g range.

Should i be plugging in everything wired into the AEBS? or my 327w from verizon?

it is also set to bridge mode, not creating its own ip addresses. Would this cause any problems if i add the sphere and APE?

Thanks

4. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Yes, if you have no N computers, there's obviously no point in making an N network. In this case, you'd set up the AEBS that works as a router (the one plugged via ethernet to the cable modem) as the main wireless access point in b/g only, and the rest throughout the house - as wireless repeaters. No better option.

I do run two networks - a b/g one and a 5 GHz N one, so they do not interfere and have the maximum throughput. I made it by attaching a b/g access point to the N-AEBS.

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i am going to add the express downstairs and the sphere upstairs as access points correct?

will this cause any bandwidth problems? and lower the throuput due to everything being on the one b/g network?

Or will it be better for all my crap to connect better

thanks for all your help!!

6. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Yeah, just set 'em up to "extend" the existing network and you're good to go.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

will this cause any bandwidth problems? and lower the throuput due to everything being on the one b/g network and extending everything?

Or will it be better for all my crap to connect better

8. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

bummmp?

any one with an answer?

my speeds:

Attached Files:

9. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

You will have more internal throughput available than needed to saturate your dsl connection. Do like I said and you'll be happy.

10. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome,

thanks will do and get back to you with the results!!

11. dorologio macrumors newbie

I thought I was pretty savvy when it came to this, but would someone PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT A "REPEATER" IS IN APPLE DIALOG-BOX-TERMS PLEASE?!?!?!

I have a dualband exrtreme, an n-extreme, a time capsule, an n-express, and two old express'. Like someone mentioned before, i have a b/g net set up for the iphones originating from the TC (bridge from the dual-band router), and then a seperate net for n-only (5ghz around the house, 2.4 when on my roof top). My n express is linked to the Dualband via ethernet, creating it's own net with the SAME NAME, THUS EXTENDING THE N NET via ethernet speads...MY QUESTION:

CAN MY OLD N-EXTREME WIRELESSLY EXTEND THIS N-ONLY NETWORK, OR CAN AN EXTREME NOT EXTEND UNLESS WIRED?

Thanks all.