Assistance with Bootcamp, and two HD's in my MBP 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nizmoz, Sep 8, 2012.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I am unable to get Bootcamp to work properly.

I have my new SSD in my slot one where the oem HD was. I put the OEM HD in a 2nd caddy where the dvdrom was. I can install Win7 on the SSD with OSX no problem. But I can't install it on the caddy HD 500gb one. The only way I was able to install it on that drive was disconnecting my SSD to install. Once I hooked it back up, I can't go back into Win7 but I can get into OSX fine.

Why can I not get this to work? I need Win7 for work and this was the reason I got the laptop in teh first place. I use to do this on other MACS in the past fine.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Do you get the option of which hdd to choose in bc installer?

My 2012 13" had your same SSD/HDD setup and I can see both drives in the boot camp installer and pick either one to install windows to.

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes but then when it boots into the windows setup, it throws up the error that it can't install on that drive. :/

----------

I saw that thread, and that doesn't work for me. The Optibay doesn't support SATA3 and the speeds that my SSD has last I read.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The 2012's Optibay supports SATA III.

5. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

So if I switch the Windows drive to the main bay, will I still be able to boot to OSX?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

In theory, yes. You may need to hold down the OPTION/ALT Key.

7. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Switching the SSD to the Optical port and putting the HD back in the original bay fixed it. :/ Now it boots to both OS's. Freakin Apple.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol go figure.

9. nizmoz, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Since I got this to work with windows 7 on that drive by itself. Is there a way for me to partition that drive to only allow Windows to have half of it and I use the other half as OSX? I went into Windows and made half of the space go to unallocated, but OSX won't see that unallocated space for some reason! :(

What I mean is OSX is on the SSD in the Optidrive. Windows is taking up the whole 500gb, but I would like additional space for OSX so I would like half of that where OSX can use. But will I be allowed to do that? :/

10. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

My suspicion is because Apple's EFI implementation will only boot a non-Apple OS from port 0 (the main HDD bay). I've had similar troubles with Linux as well.

This is probably also the reason why you can't boot/install Windows off a Thunderbolt hard drive (even though the Thunderbolt hard drive appears as an internal hard drive).

There is a workaround though where you can put the Windows boot partition on the main HDD and then install the actual Windows files to the Thunderbolt device.