Assistance with programs and their functions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZiggyPastorius, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So, basically, I'm not a complete foreigner to Macs (I know how to use them, I understand them basically, et cetera) But I'm a noob when it comes to computers, and still a noob when it comes to Macs, even though I have a basic understanding of them. So, here's my question:

For each of these things, what program that comes with Mac, or can be downloaded for free, can be used to complete the tasks:

First off: Drawing. Just doodling around with random crap, similar to what you can do in paint, or even better, a more professional-esque program like Photoshop (besides Photoshop for Mac, of course).

Second: Actually, I'm having a brain cramp right now and can't remember the other things I was going to ask. So, I'll do that when I remember.

I was playing on my friend's Macbook in the car the other day, and was just checking it out, but I noticed I couldn't find a program to doodle with, and wondered if anyone could help me with that. Maybe someone can help me with that, and maybe just give me a quick rundown of some of the programs and stuff that come pre-installed in the Macbook, like iDVD, imovie, and all that, and just give me a basic idea of what they do. Thanks, everyone =]

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For doodling, if you want something very similar to Paint on Windows, one option is Seashore (free). There are other options like Acorn; you can google them.

If you mean *drawing*, then really, what you want is not a photoshop type of program, but a vector drawing program. Of course, there's one in Adobe CS. One free option, however, is called Inkscape.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

This has been discussed previously. You can piew the post here.