Assistant iPhone 5 exclusivity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Speedyparker87, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Aside from the better processor, more RAM, and an added selling point do you think Assistant might be for the iPhone 5 only because of a redesigned home button?

A touch sensitive button which can also be pushed gives it a dual function--one of which can immediately activate Assistant. Currently, holding down the home button takes so long it's inconvenient and removes any sort of magical futuristic quality to voice control. At the very least they need to cut down the seconds.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It will be exclusive for the next iPhone, solely because of the A5.

3. film major macrumors member

Exactly, reportedly it needs the A5 to run smoothly.

4. Speedyparker87 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I heard the rumored 1gb of ram is also needed to help make it a smooth experience. Otherwise, could we expect it on the iPad 2?

5. saichand macrumors newbie

Wonder how they are going to maintain the same battery life with Assistant. Speech recognition needs a lot of horsepower and A5 can provide that but at the same time, battery is drained each time there is some speech recognition done.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Increase the capacity, maybe?

7. nateharr macrumors 6502

To be honest, we know nothing about the new Assistant feature. It may not even be called "Assistant."

It's silly to make conjecture on rumors based upon other rumors. Also, Apple is known for refusing to bring newer software features to older hardware as a way to encourage existing customers to upgrade.

The OP's theory on a new home button is equally as valid as any theories of "Assistant" requiring the A5 processor. The only reason one could argue that the OP doesn't have a point is if we assume Apple is bringing "Assistant" to the iPad 2: a device with the A5 processor and a traditional home button.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm actually kind of happy about the exclusiveness of "assistant" :)

Means that more people will want the 5 and will be selling their iPhone 4 on Craigslist (flooding Craigslist and driving the price of the iPhone 4 down)...

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Well, perhaps...but it also makes sense that, if there is not a larger screen and the A-5, increased RAM, a better camera AND Assistant are the major differences between the iPhone 4 and the next one (I'm not really sure what to call it- 4s or 5), Apple would want to make Assistant work only with the latest version of the phone to help boost sales to those currently owning a 4.

----------

Obviously you aren't one of those selling your iPhone 4. ;)

10. apmorency macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

At the same time, it's a way to differentiate the 5. Another reason to buy it. You don't get the new wiz bang software unless you fork over the $$.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

an entire gig of RAM in a phone. Freaking incredible times we live in.

Anyway, yeah "assistant" would strain the battery, but I'd have to think the average user wouldn't have it on all day.

Am I the only one who would rather keep the phone the same width and increase the battery? Seems like Apple is obsessed with having the thinnest phones. But they are already so thin, how much more do you really need? I'd rather have something packed to the gills with specs and battery even if it is slightly thicker.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It'll "need" the A5 in the same way you "need" at least a 3GS to have a homescreen wallpaper. It would probably run fine on the iPhone 4 at least, but then people wouldn't want to upgrade.

13. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

It is a voice speaking feature not a hardcore graphics game.

A5 processor doesn't matter, it would work on A4 but Apple wants iPhone 5 sales which is why it may be exclusive to iPhone 5.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

If it's not assistant, there will be some other feature that only the new phone can do. Otherwise what would the point be for refreshing at all? The iPhone 4 runs great as is.

I would put money on there being a wow factor that requires an upgrade. Every new version of the iPhone has had one so far, and I don't think they've run out of ideas already.

15. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

In 9to5's article on the Assistant feature this past Monday, they mentioned that Assistant loads faster than Voice Control.

Assistant will be iPhone 5 only. I agree that the A5 and extra ram will ensure that a powerful feature like this is implemented into the system without taxing it in the least. And, of course, making it iPhone 5 only will help Apple make a few bucks by luring out a few more upgraders.

16. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I bet Assistant will clean your house if you ask it to.

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm sure assistant will be available on the iPhone 4 as well. Just as multi-tasking was designed for the A4 devices, but the A8 devices such as the 3G(s) and iPod Touch 3rd generation also supported the feature.