Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Aside from the better processor, more RAM, and an added selling point do you think Assistant might be for the iPhone 5 only because of a redesigned home button?

A touch sensitive button which can also be pushed gives it a dual function--one of which can immediately activate Assistant. Currently, holding down the home button takes so long it's inconvenient and removes any sort of magical futuristic quality to voice control. At the very least they need to cut down the seconds.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I heard the rumored 1gb of ram is also needed to help make it a smooth experience. Otherwise, could we expect it on the iPad 2?

saichand

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
It will be exclusive for the next iPhone, solely because of the A5.

Wonder how they are going to maintain the same battery life with Assistant. Speech recognition needs a lot of horsepower and A5 can provide that but at the same time, battery is drained each time there is some speech recognition done.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Exactly, reportedly it needs the A5 to run smoothly.

To be honest, we know nothing about the new Assistant feature. It may not even be called "Assistant."

It's silly to make conjecture on rumors based upon other rumors. Also, Apple is known for refusing to bring newer software features to older hardware as a way to encourage existing customers to upgrade.

The OP's theory on a new home button is equally as valid as any theories of "Assistant" requiring the A5 processor. The only reason one could argue that the OP doesn't have a point is if we assume Apple is bringing "Assistant" to the iPad 2: a device with the A5 processor and a traditional home button.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011

I'm actually kind of happy about the exclusiveness of "assistant" :)

Means that more people will want the 5 and will be selling their iPhone 4 on Craigslist (flooding Craigslist and driving the price of the iPhone 4 down)...

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

Well, perhaps...but it also makes sense that, if there is not a larger screen and the A-5, increased RAM, a better camera AND Assistant are the major differences between the iPhone 4 and the next one (I'm not really sure what to call it- 4s or 5), Apple would want to make Assistant work only with the latest version of the phone to help boost sales to those currently owning a 4.

----------

I'm actually kind of happy about the exclusiveness of "assistant" :)

Means that more people will want the 5 and will be selling their iPhone 4 on Craigslist (flooding Craigslist and driving the price of the iPhone 4 down)...

Obviously you aren't one of those selling your iPhone 4. ;)

apmorency

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

At the same time, it's a way to differentiate the 5. Another reason to buy it. You don't get the new wiz bang software unless you fork over the $$.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
an entire gig of RAM in a phone. Freaking incredible times we live in.

Anyway, yeah "assistant" would strain the battery, but I'd have to think the average user wouldn't have it on all day.

Am I the only one who would rather keep the phone the same width and increase the battery? Seems like Apple is obsessed with having the thinnest phones. But they are already so thin, how much more do you really need? I'd rather have something packed to the gills with specs and battery even if it is slightly thicker.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
It is a voice speaking feature not a hardcore graphics game.

A5 processor doesn't matter, it would work on A4 but Apple wants iPhone 5 sales which is why it may be exclusive to iPhone 5.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If it's not assistant, there will be some other feature that only the new phone can do. Otherwise what would the point be for refreshing at all? The iPhone 4 runs great as is.

I would put money on there being a wow factor that requires an upgrade. Every new version of the iPhone has had one so far, and I don't think they've run out of ideas already.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)At the very least they need to cut down the seconds.

In 9to5's article on the Assistant feature this past Monday, they mentioned that Assistant loads faster than Voice Control.

Assistant will be iPhone 5 only. I agree that the A5 and extra ram will ensure that a powerful feature like this is implemented into the system without taxing it in the least. And, of course, making it iPhone 5 only will help Apple make a few bucks by luring out a few more upgraders.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I'm sure assistant will be available on the iPhone 4 as well. Just as multi-tasking was designed for the A4 devices, but the A8 devices such as the 3G(s) and iPod Touch 3rd generation also supported the feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.