Assistive technology and motivation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redwarrior, Dec 30, 2010.

1. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

A close friend of the family, who is 17 and a senior in high school, has just tragically lost the use of his right (primary) hand. The doctors say he has about a year of recovery and rehabilitation before, hopefully, full use is restored.

He is an over-achiever in school and has been in the process of planning his eduction and career.

I would like to know what technology and advice is out there to help him to continue his education as he is recovering.

I am assuming he will learn to use his left hand a lot, but is there speech to text technology to help him keep up with is assignments in school? What about computer mice and keyboards? Anything else?

I know there have been advances in helping people with disabilities to use computers for education and communication, but advice on dealing with educators and self-motivation would be appreciated as well.

His family doesn't have unlimited resources, but will be very supportive and do all they can to help to ensure his continued academic success.

Anything advice, links, and even stories about others' experiences would be awesome.

(This family uses Windows computers, but I am interested in anything helpful no matter the platform.)

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just found out yesterday, that my surgeon has been using Voice Recognition for 12 years. :eek: Well ahead of the curve. They use Dell everywhere in the building, so I assume Windows software.

Mice should be easy to switch, using properties.

I'll be having my right hand operated on as well, in January, but I only expect a 30-day rehab.

3. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Must be pretty accurate if a surgeon is using it! Would you mind asking him what it is specifically? if it comes up?

Yes, I have already made a mental note to tell him about the mouse. I don't know how much he currently uses a computer, but I think he's going to learn to use it more.

I hope your operation goes well and you have a speedy recovery. :)

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I didn't forget you red. ;)

I spoke to Delphina, his main girl, and he uses Dragon software.

His version is specific to his profession, but you can find more info here.

Oh, this guy is my gut guy, from my cancer surgery. The hand surgery will be by a plastic surgeon from Toronto.

And I will pay nothing for this, as well. :p

5. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

New technology

He will certainly learn to type or text faster than right with his off hand. For notetaking in class, he should try to get a smartphone approved. The iPhone is very easy to text with left handed because of the heat-sensitive like technology, and it has the best autocorrect. I've had Blackberry's, a Samsung Captivate Android device, and numerous iPhones. I can tell you iPhones are the best.

For computers, he may like the Magic Trackpad as a mouse, it is pretty easy to use and requires less coordination.

6. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thank you John; I appreciate that you went to the trouble to find that out for me. I have heard of that software and expected that that was it. I am going to make a list for the kid's parents of things that will help, and this will be on it. Thanks again!

I was wondering about this, whether the technology and interface on the iPhone and iPad would be easier or harder to use. I will mention this to his parents as well.

Good advice! Thank you both. :)

BTW, he is home and has feeling in his fingers, a very good sign. He was also moving his fingers, and the doctor told him to stop cause he would pull everything loose that they had fixed. :p

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, he's got to heal, before physio can start.

But at 17, well, you know ......