Assuming a MB update, do I need a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AmandaL, Oct 29, 2007.

1. AmandaL macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.. I know there are a ton of guides and such out about MB vs MBP, but the rumor of the upcoming refresh of the MB's has reignited my debate on whether I should buy an MBP or MB.. I had been set on a MBP, but
    here's my situation:

-Switching from a PC
    -College senior, computer science major.. only have 6 more months to 'carry around' my computer - otherwise, it'll be mostly just carried around my house.
    - my "gaming" is limited basically to WoW. When Spore comes out, i'd like to play it (in bootcamp) with relatively high settings.
    - Otherwise, the computer is mainly web/email/itunes, etc (though I am notorious for having 20 tabs open at a time in Firefox.. )
    - Would like to be able to run XP in Parallels/ Fusion (Office 2007, Visual Studio, though VS isn't a huge deal.. I could reboot for that)

So, based on the x3100 graphics card rumor, would the MB (with 2GB ram) suit my needs? Or would my money be better spent on a MBP? (I can *theoretically* afford either. But would rather save $1000 if the MB will suit me fine)

For Reference, i'm currently on a ThinkPad t42, and it plays WoW decently for my tastes (all settings on low, no addons) - 1gb ram, TI Mobility RADEON 9600 with 64MB of RAM video, and a 1.7 centrino processor.. in getting a new computer, I certainly want a bit of an upgrade.

on a side note, I will probably get a brand new MBP come August when I start my fulltime job.. however, this will be a 'work' computer, and therefore I a) might not bring it home all the time and b) wont want to have any less than legal content on it ;)

soo, based on all of this, what is your expert opinion on which will best suit my needs? Thanks in advance :)

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro... But I'm biased.
    I think either will suit you fine, but consider screen size in your quest as well.