Assuming new iPods tomorrow..availability??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by squeeks, Sep 4, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

based on past experiences, which i have none of, if apple does indeed release new ipods tomorrow, when can we expect them in stores? IE Apple Store, or Best Buy?

Am i going to be able to stop by my local apple store at 1pm est tomorrow and get one?

Or can i stop my by best buy around 3 and maybe snag one? or will i have to wait a day or two?

just curious

2. imacfreak macrumors member

imacfreak

This is only a guess, but from past experience.. they rarely release the item the day of the event. Often they just announce it and say it will ship in 2 weeks, or a month, or whatever. I'm guessing that since the student "free iPod" deal goes until September 16th that the new iPods wont be available until after that date. And even if they do start shipping tomorrow, its highly unlikely that your local best buy will have one. The local apple store may have them though, if they are released tomorrow.

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I would guess they'll be ready to order from the Apple Store online tomorrow afternoon and ship within 48 hours.

Apple Retail Stores may start getting them as early as tomorrow afternoon, but maybe not until Thursday or Friday.

It'll take a while for the Best Buys, Radio Shacks and Targets of the world to get them, though they'll show up at other online stores (Mac Connection and such) a little before the brick and mortar stores get them.

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

New iPods were released before the student promo ended last year, and they were simply excluded from the discount, so that's not an accurate marker.

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I would expect them to release them that day or the next. Why would they wait another 2 weeks after the student deal? That's dumb. No one would buy the old iPods when far better new ones get announced. Hence, better bang for ya buck.

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok, cool, ill call my apple store tomorrow afternoon to see if they have them yet, thanks guys

7. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Actually, I think they will release them for sale quite fast after announcing.

Once they announce it, no one will buy the old ones at regular price, that means that they loose maybe 2 weeks of sales? Which would be bad.

Secondly, this won't affect the Back to School promotion, which by the way starts and ends on different dates in other countries... If you read the Terms of the BTS promo, they list out specifically the model numbers that you can rebate. So, the new iPods wont be applicable, and they won't loose money. :apple: