Assuming they don't update until March/April.... what one should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajdb9, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

Hi

I'm starting an Bachelor of Engineering degree at University (college) at the start of March.

**Assuming Apple don't upgrade the Macbook Pro until well into March, or April**

Buying ANY Macbook Pro is a stretch on my budget, but I love the OS and am trying to afford one. The 15" MBPs start at $3000 here, I could get an equivalent-spec PC for about $1300!

Of the three 15" models (15" is a good compromise on portability vs usability for me), is the lowest model (if I upgraded it with an HD screen and 500GB HDD) a good computer, capable of some Windows-based CAD type work (part of the degree)?

We bought a bottom-end 15" Macbook Pro towards then end of 2008 and it's already starting to seem obsolete by now (2.4 C2D 2GB 200GB) - is buying the base model always a stupid thing to do, if there's the possibility of avoiding it?

Is it worth me not eating breakfast and lunch for the 5 weeks until university so I can get the next model up!? :D

How much more worthwhile is the extra processor and - in the top model - graphics card? And are those the only differences? (I don't game much, and if I did it would be for fun with mates, not for 'OMG look at the hardcore graphics' :rolleyes:)

Also, are there any reference pics of HD vs non-HD screen?
    That's a pretty worthwhile upgrade, right?

Thanks!
    Alexander

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think if you go with a baseline 15" MBP, you'd be fine, but then after purchase I would max out the RAM from an aftermarket provider like OWC. Don't buy RAM from Apple because it is always grossly overpriced.

Otherwise I think you'll be fine with what you want to do and it should last you a long time properly taken care of.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What tasks does your existing MacBook pro seem slow doing?

If it's just slow in general than a solid state hard drive will put a spring in it's step and make it fast again.

If it's tasks like encoding then a ssd wouldn't help.

You can always sell your current mbp and use the funds to get the new one.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Your Core 2 Duo is still a very capable CPU for most everyday tasks. What's it not doing that you want it to do?

5. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Sorry, should've explained better. It's a family computer. So:
    1. Can't sell it (as I don't own it)
    2. Need my own computer (as I don't have 100% control over it, i.e. taking to University every day etc)

Thanks!
    :)

6. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

If things are looking like a stretch on the budget have you looked at refurbished models? I'm typing this up on a refurb 15" MBP I bought back in mid 2009 - it's great and saved a significant amount of money, or you could also go for a higher specced model with the same amount of money you were originally prepared to pay.

Just something to consider.

7. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Cool! Thanks for your reply. Are there any downsides to refurbished Macs?

[Still interested in answers re new ones too :)]

8. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Another family member and I both bought the same refurbished Mac at the same time.

Mine has a minute ( ~1mm across ) ding along the top right edge of the screen bezel, which I noticed at first but really doesn't matter and I soon learned to ignore, and for the price discount I don't really mind. The other one came with no cosmetic defaults. From most people I have spoken to on MacRumors, refurbished Macs generally have no faults at all.

Both computers run perfectly fine as you would expect a brand new computer to.

As an added bonus, both of them came with AppleCare already purchased - I think they both must have been in a batch where the previous owner bought AppleCare for all of them. (don't go expecting this if you purchase one though)

So yes, if you are unlucky and get a little ding you can get your downsides, but it isn't going to be anything too major and I would say the price reduction compensates for that. I would definitely purchase refurbished again and can recommend it to others.

Good luck with your decision!