Astounding service from Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tersono, Jul 27, 2009.

1. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Just wanted to share this:

About 23 months ago I bought a brand new MacBook Pro 17". This was the newly-released 2.4 Ghz version with the optional HD 1920x1200 glossy screen, 160gb HD and 2gb RAM. List price at the time was just under $1900.

It was bought to replace an old G4 powerbook and a G5 tower as it was more than powerful enough to be used as a desktop replacement. It was also the most expensive laptop computer I've ever bought. Given that it was a stretch to buy it - and given that in 20 years and at least 30 Macs I'd never had one fail within the period covered by AppleCare, I decided not to buy the extended warranty.

The machine was superb - I was very pleased with the performance and figured it would last me at least 4 years. However, a few weeks ago I started getting screen corruption. A reboot generally solved the problem for a while, but it always came back. A quick check on the web showed that it was a known issue with MBPs of that age with Nvidia graphics ( the ATi fitted versions were not affected). Basically what was happening was that there was a design fault with the Nvidia chipset which was causing some of them to fail. Fortunately, Apple had negotiated an arrangement with Nvidia for replacement of affected logic boards, so they had extended the guarantee on the affected machines to 3 years for this particular fault. I was in luck!

I made an appointment at the Genius bar at the Kingston Apple store (near London, for those not in the UK) and took the MBP in - by this time it wouldn't boot at all. They took one look at it and confirmed it was covered by the extended warranty. They took the machine off me and told me it would be ready in a week. A few hours later I received a call - the logic board had been replaced, but there was still a problem and they would have to replace the display too. They told me it would cost £350 (parts only - labour was covered). I agreed with the caveat that I reserved the right to argue my case with them as the screen had been perfect up until the chipset failure. A week later I returned to the Apple store to pick the machine up - they informed me that they were not going to charge me for the display after all - demonstrated that the computer booted, and I put it to sleep and took it home.

Unfortunately, when I arrived home, I tried to wake the computer up and it just sat there. Following a hard reboot there was graphics corruption again. I was not happy, but these things happen. I made another appointment at the Genius bar for the following Saturday and when the time came I dragged the computer 35 miles or so back to the store. I was ready to give them a very hard time, but it wasn't necessary - they apologised profusely and promised to get to the bottom of the problem. They ordered a further logic board and display/clamshell and let me know that they'd call me on Monday to work something out for my inconvenience. I returned home to my old 17" powerbook G4 (picked up cheaply on eBay recently) and waited for the call.

I didn't hear from them on Monday, but I got a call on the Tuesday. They had replaced both logic board and display/clamshell, but it still wasn't behaving. Before I could even think about getting annoyed, they told me that this was unacceptable and they didn't want me left with a potential problem. They would replace the machine. Given that the machine is out of warranty, I thought this was very good of them, and told them so - they told me it would be a couple of weeks before they could get a replacement as my machine was a configure-to-order model and they didn't have a replacement immediately available. I told them that was fine and awaited a call to tell me that they'd got a refurbished computer in for me.

I picked it up yesterday. The only thing is that it's not a refurb. It's a brand new, sealed latest model unibody MBP17" 2.8ghz with a 500gb HD and 4gb RAM. :eek:

You coulda knocked me down with a feather. Now that's what I call service!

If there was any chance I was ever going to buy a non-Apple computer again (and I'll admit the chance was small), this experience has killed it...

Kudos to Apple - easily the best customer service I've ever experienced from ANY company.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Thats awesome!!

One of the many reasons I love apple.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Glad you've gotten such great service. All I've gotten is terrible service with rude geniuses.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Gosh darnit.

I wish my computer wasn't so reliable now.

Congratulations. On the computer and having gotten the nicer people to serve you.

5. tersono thread starter macrumors 68000

tersono

Sorry to hear that - there's good and bad in every company I guess. FWIW I've dealt with 3 'geniuses' a couple of other staff members and the store manager over this issue and they've all been exceptionally helpful.

6. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I love hearing about stories like this, because so many people are quick to complain and rant, and yet so few tell us of their good stories about great customer service.

Congratulations on your new machine, enjoy.

7. Ramik macrumors newbie

One more reason I wish we had an Apple Store here in Denmark. We only have Premium Resellers.

The computer has to generate a speceific error code, if the extended warranty is to cover. The fact that a genius just takes a look at it, and confirms that it's covered by the extended warranty is really neat :)

Who knows, maybe your MBP wasn't covered by the warranty. But that doesn't really matter now.

I have 15" MBP with the same problem. It just isn't covered by the warranty according to the person who ran a diagnosis on it. Prize yourself lucky!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Personally I've gotten 2 replacements and didn't really like dealing with it.

It was nice to get a new computer, but the drawback was all the hassle I had to go through to get a computer that worked.

Right now I hope this computer never breaks except I've had to get the motherboard, battery, wireless, and HDD replaced already (due to failures). I would hate to get the MacBook Pro without the ExpressCard slot.

As with your replacement congratulations!