Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
Hello

I was just wondering if any one is using Astrill ?
When I was using Yosemite and Mavericks Astrill Stealth VPN mode worked fine. After doing a clean install of El Cap, Stealth mode keeps giving me a you are trying to connect too frequently error and disconnects. When using OpenWeb, it functions just fine.

I've contacted Astrill and they gave me a link to d/l a new installer. I've changed the settings as per their instructions but the problem still persists. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

I'm in China and having a VPN makes my life much easier lol

Thanks.

VPNsecurity

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Is there a specific reason you'd like to use StealthVPN? If OpenWeb works fine and as far as I know it's as good as Stelth when it comes to bypassing chinese firewall, you should be good. Just curious.

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
Is there a specific reason you'd like to use StealthVPN? If OpenWeb works fine and as far as I know it's as good as Stelth when it comes to bypassing chinese firewall, you should be good. Just curious.

Stealth mode has been working well for the last while. I paid for Stealth mode so would like to be able to use it lol

I thought that they could monitor OpenWeb and that Stealth mode was harder to monitor.

VPNsecurity

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
Stealth mode has been working well for the last while. I paid for Stealth mode so would like to be able to use it lol

I thought that they could monitor OpenWeb and that Stealth mode was harder to monitor.

ah, right. Sorry, I didn't consider that OpenWeb is more like a proxy. Well, I guess only Astrill can help you solve this issue (maybe they need to run some sort of update). I've had trouble with some apps (non VPN related) when I switched to Al Cap too. If Astrill doesn't plan on solving this anytime soon, you should either settle for the other protocols or consider switching to a different provider. There are enough VPNs that work great in China and have custom protocols.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.