Astro A40s and iMac surround sound?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wilds94, Apr 11, 2013.

1. wilds94 macrumors member

:confused: Probably one of my first posts, but a long time reader.

I'm looking at buying a maxed 27" iMac soon, and also want too buy some Astro a40s for gaming on my xbox, windows(bootcamp), and watching movies in surround sound on the mac. Is there any way i can do this. :eek:

Thanks in advance. :apple:

2. Muscle macrumors regular

I've been in the same boat as you, looking to get surround sound via an external USB sound card.

The mixamp alone won't give you surround sound, as iMac's integrated soundcard does not support DDL (dolby digital live), which is needed for the mixamp to provide surround sound via headphones/speakers.

I'm a big FPS fan and I have the recon3d usb soundcard. The virtual surround sound is OK on my Sennheiser HD598.

You can also try the X-Fi pro Surround Sound 5.1, also from sound blaster, but it does not support Mac OS, however there are work arounds for it but those posts seem to date back pre-Mountain Lion.

3. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

I have a mixamp a40, not sure it's correct it's not supported.
    What I think is needed is the signal going optical out, which I think is not elaborated by the soundcard in any way. And the iMac does send optically out.

My a40 works, I believe I get the virtual surround is intended to deliver, but then again, maybe I'm under placebo effect, but I can definitely hear directions.

4. Muscle macrumors regular

The mixamp will enhance the "sound" on the imac's native sound card. Please refer to this thread on astro's forum for a detailed discussion on DDL not being available on iMacs integrated soundcard.

5. insane79 macrumors 6502

sorry for bringing up this old thread, i m considering the recon3d sound card for my iMac, do you get virtual 5.1 sound in games? does thx & dolby work on osx?inputs would be great.

Thanks..