Astronomical Constellations App?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ryanx, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ryanx macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I wonder if any of you know about an astronomical constellations app for the iPad.. from what I know there are quite a few, but I'd like to buy the most professional one..

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

GoSkywatch Planetarium for iPad gets me around the sky quite nicely.
    You point your iPad at a hunk of sky, and the App tells you what you're looking at; or you can switch off the magnetometer and use the map as a conventional atlas.
    The star atlas doesn't go much beyond magnitude 6, if that, but there's a decent collection of deep sky objects, nebula, clusters, galaxies, included.

The App'll also tell you which constellation is currently directly under your feet. ;)

3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you need to quantify what you mean by "most professional". Some of the more expensive apps are capable of sending coordinate data to position a telescope. This feature is probably very useful to amature astronomers who have access to the required equipment but would be overkill for stargazing. I have Distant Suns 3, which is @ $10 and the NASA app which is free, both of which I'd recommend for stargazing with the unaided eye