Astronomy face changes good/bad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Kirken, Sep 19, 2018.

1. The Kirken macrumors newbie

The Kirken

So, I'm glad that Apple made the Astronomy face customizable, letting me add, say the current weather conditions to the face, but I no longer have the options of easily changing it to the Moon or Solar System views, like I could before by tapping on the small icons in the corners. You can change it by going in to modify the face again, but that was one of the coolest features of the face.

Anyone else kind of mad about this? Or am I missing something here? Is there a way to get the little moon and solar system buttons back on the default face? It seems like such an odd and arbitrary thing to change.

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Don't have watchOS 5 yet because I have a Series 0 and I'm waiting on my Series 4 to arrive, but is it because they added complications there? Perhaps they found that most people didn't switch views that often. It's not like the location of the planets changes that drastically week to week, and for some year to year, lol.

3. The Kirken thread starter macrumors newbie

The Kirken

Yeah, it seems likely that the addition of the complications is responsible. I just wish they could do both! The moon button was animated, which was neat, and it was easy to tap on it to see the current phase. And, as an amateur astronomer, I also liked being able to pull up the solar system, particularly this summer when Mars was going in and out of opposition. It made for a quick and easy way to explain to others what opposition is and how it works. So, yes, it's pretty nerdy, but it was still fun! Being able to easily cycle through those views was really quite cool and the thing I liked most about the face.

Still, I bet you're right that the addition of complications, which I appreciate, is the likeliest cause of the removed functionality.

4. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Maybe you could set up a few astronomy faces and arrange them side by side and then swipe left or right of your main one to get to the proper setting?

I am also a bit of an astronomy geek, but I don't keep up with it as much as I used to. It was really fun in college to drive out to the observatory in the middle of nowhere and look at the stars and take spectrograph readings and analyze them, determine composition, calculate the normal redshift distance, etc. I've been wanting to get more into astrophotography, and sometime in the next year or two I'm going to purchase a bigger reflector scope with tracking mount that I can attach my 42MP Sony a7R III to, which does really well in low light and high resolution, to hopefully get some quality images of different messier objects. Would love any recommendations you might have.

5. The Kirken thread starter macrumors newbie

The Kirken

I'm only just getting back into it after years without a scope! So I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice right now. I'll be seeking some advice myself as I start putting together my holiday wish list for accessories for the reflector that was just passed along to me by my father-in-law (which does have a nice tracking mount), so we're in the same boat right now.

But that's a good tip on just putting together some multiple Astronomy faces. They won't have the cool animations, zooming in and out of the moon, but that will still work. And congrats on the new Watch!

6. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I'm bummed about it too. I really liked being able to switch between the astronomy faces. The way they zoomed in and out when switching was nice.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yes I just noticed this and came here to vent about it! Haha. I remember enjoying playing around with it for a while a few years ago, but never consistently used it. I’ve recently rejuvenated my interests in all things space/astronomy and decided to try that face out again. Very disappointed to not be able to quickly switch between them.

Which leads me to a related frusteration. On the new Infograph watch face (and maybe others?) Apple has created new complications for the sun, moon, orbit, and solar path... but they aren’t clickable to launch into a full screen view which could be scrollable through time. They just sit there, stationary, small, and mostly boring.

8. Charliesmommy macrumors newbie

Charliesmommy

--- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    I miss the moon on this face and want it back and can’t figure out if there’s a fix. I strongly follow the moon and how it affects me and other people.