Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm using the astronomy watch face for the first time and upon taking my phone off the charger this morning, I noticed I was still basked in darkness and artificial lights around 6am, despite a 5:15-ish sunrise. Astronomy won't put me in the light until about 8:15. Did I zone out during an astronomy lesson as a child or is the watch off?

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I'm using the astronomy watch face for the first time and upon taking my phone off the charger this morning, I noticed I was still basked in darkness and artificial lights around 6am, despite a 5:15-ish sunrise. Astronomy won't put me in the light until about 8:15. Did I zone out during an astronomy lesson as a child or is the watch off?

Stupid question, but is the green dot correctly located for you? I have found the astronomy face accurate for me, so far.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Stupid question, but is the green dot correctly located for you? I have found the astronomy face accurate for me, so far.

The location is correct. But it shows the eastern seaboard seaboard still under darkness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 256

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
The location is correct. But it shows the eastern seaboard seaboard still under darkness.

Is the date definitely correct too?

If I drag the globe around on my watch I can't orient it the same way that yours displays, so something certainly seems to be off.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I spoke too soon. Your display is quite dark in the picture so I found it difficult to work out the orientation, but I finally got it. I'm in the UK, so this is equivalent to 06:43 your time, and it shows the eastern seaboard in darkness too. Guess it's a bug.

IMG_3170.jpg

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I spoke too soon. Your display is quite dark in the picture so I found it difficult to work out the orientation, but I finally got it. I'm in the UK, so this is equivalent to 06:43 your time, and it shows the eastern seaboard in darkness too. Guess it's a bug.

View attachment 553949

Thanks, first MR upload. Sideways didn't help either. What was weird was the sunrise complication correctly noted sunrise was at 5:15. Everything else was correct about the time. I took it in my lit driveway.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I don't use the astronomy face, but I just tried it now and I see the same thing. I'm in the EDT time zone, same as you. I still see the green dot in darkness in the watch face but it's definitely bright out, sun has risen and there's been daylight since 6ish (1 hour 45 minutes as of this post).

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Also, just to add, when I go to the Solar watch face, and dial the time back, it shows that it hit sunrise exactly 2 hours ago (5:48am eastern). That one seems quite accurate.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I might be WAY off here, but I wonder if this is the result of Atmospheric refraction.

Apple have stated that the position of the sun and planets in the solar system are accurate, but I wonder if they are using these positions to calculate sun rise and sunset shadows in the Astronomy watchface?

In real life, Atmospheric refraction bends light, and allows us to see the sun before it comes above the horizon. Perhaps the Astronomy watchface is showing the shadow on the earth in relation to its position to the sun, and not how the light actually hits the Earth's surface in real life?

Like I say, probably way off here, but an interesting thought.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Possibly but it also shows New England with all the lights on, so the animation could use a sprucing if that's the case.

Last edited:

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Just to complete the circuit, sunset is happening around now.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 147

pjschmid

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
No change from 1.0

Just to complete the circuit, sunset is happening around now.

Just so you know this has not changed from version 1.0. I have not yet updated and the same thing is happening on my watch. I'm currently located in Conneticut.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Ah, was just about to post the same thing, but did a search first.

I took some paired screenshots / photos. The apparent difference is pretty big, not just a little bit off (London, UK, here). What's the consensus? Is this a bug, or does atmospheric refraction or some such really account for the difference?

Attachments

• Astrology.3.jpg
    Astrology.3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Astrology.2.jpg
    Astrology.2.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Astrology.1.jpg
    Astrology.1.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 149

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
I'm not convinced it's a twilight thing. Thinking about sunset, the Astrology face is showing darkness while the sun is still in the sky — but twilight has the opposite effect, where your location is still light after the sun has gone down. (i.e.: if my location was still in the light part of the globe when the sun had gone down, then it would be fair to argue it's due to twilight, but twilight effects don't apply while the sun is still up)

Anyway, I've raised a bug with Apple, #21065710. :)

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I was noting this issue again today and believe the problem is the shadow graphic that marks night covers exactly half of the earth in this representation. If sunset is a little after 8pm, sunrise comes 12 hours later, not 9 as may be more accurate.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

Move your dial when "DAWN" is shown on top will give you 1st sunlight BEFORE sunrise. You should be able to start seeing thing with some light coming up outdoor.
Move your dial when "SUNRISE" is shown on top will give you when you actually can see sun.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
And does it work properly for sunrise? I found that it used to add 12 hours to sunset and show sunrise at 8am instead of 5, etc. Sunset always seemed proper.
Sunrise in London is around 5:30am at the moment. I'm sorry, but I won't be up that early on a Saturday morning. ;)

Hopefully someone else here can help out and check it though…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.