Astronomy Sunrise

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thatsmyfish, May 20, 2015.

1. thatsmyfish macrumors regular

I'm using the astronomy watch face for the first time and upon taking my phone off the charger this morning, I noticed I was still basked in darkness and artificial lights around 6am, despite a 5:15-ish sunrise. Astronomy won't put me in the light until about 8:15. Did I zone out during an astronomy lesson as a child or is the watch off?

2. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Stupid question, but is the green dot correctly located for you? I have found the astronomy face accurate for me, so far.

3. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

The location is correct. But it shows the eastern seaboard seaboard still under darkness.

Attached Files:

4. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I have seen the same behavior where the east coast is covered in daylight at 21:30!

5. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Is the date definitely correct too?

If I drag the globe around on my watch I can't orient it the same way that yours displays, so something certainly seems to be off.

6. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I spoke too soon. Your display is quite dark in the picture so I found it difficult to work out the orientation, but I finally got it. I'm in the UK, so this is equivalent to 06:43 your time, and it shows the eastern seaboard in darkness too. Guess it's a bug.

IMG_3170.jpg

7. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, first MR upload. Sideways didn't help either. What was weird was the sunrise complication correctly noted sunrise was at 5:15. Everything else was correct about the time. I took it in my lit driveway.

8. profets macrumors 68040

I don't use the astronomy face, but I just tried it now and I see the same thing. I'm in the EDT time zone, same as you. I still see the green dot in darkness in the watch face but it's definitely bright out, sun has risen and there's been daylight since 6ish (1 hour 45 minutes as of this post).

9. jjlannoo Suspended

10. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Solar is accurate but Astromomy is useless until 1.0.2.

11. profets macrumors 68040

Also, just to add, when I go to the Solar watch face, and dial the time back, it shows that it hit sunrise exactly 2 hours ago (5:48am eastern). That one seems quite accurate.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I might be WAY off here, but I wonder if this is the result of Atmospheric refraction.

Apple have stated that the position of the sun and planets in the solar system are accurate, but I wonder if they are using these positions to calculate sun rise and sunset shadows in the Astronomy watchface?

In real life, Atmospheric refraction bends light, and allows us to see the sun before it comes above the horizon. Perhaps the Astronomy watchface is showing the shadow on the earth in relation to its position to the sun, and not how the light actually hits the Earth's surface in real life?

Like I say, probably way off here, but an interesting thought.

13. thatsmyfish, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Possibly but it also shows New England with all the lights on, so the animation could use a sprucing if that's the case.

14. Anthanasius macrumors newbie

The difference is most likely attributable to Civil, Nautical, and Astronomical twilight and the perception difference between your eyes observing twilight and what the Watch display is capable of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight

15. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Yes, excuse for a Wikipedia tangent! I didn't want to get work done today anyway.

16. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Just to complete the circuit, sunset is happening around now.

Attached Files:

17. pjschmid macrumors member

No change from 1.0

Just so you know this has not changed from version 1.0. I have not yet updated and the same thing is happening on my watch. I'm currently located in Conneticut.

18. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I had wondered about that.

19. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

Ah, was just about to post the same thing, but did a search first.

I took some paired screenshots / photos. The apparent difference is pretty big, not just a little bit off (London, UK, here). What's the consensus? Is this a bug, or does atmospheric refraction or some such really account for the difference?

Attached Files:

20. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

I'm not convinced it's a twilight thing. Thinking about sunset, the Astrology face is showing darkness while the sun is still in the sky — but twilight has the opposite effect, where your location is still light after the sun has gone down. (i.e.: if my location was still in the light part of the globe when the sun had gone down, then it would be fair to argue it's due to twilight, but twilight effects don't apply while the sun is still up)

Anyway, I've raised a bug with Apple, #21065710. :)

21. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

I was noting this issue again today and believe the problem is the shadow graphic that marks night covers exactly half of the earth in this representation. If sunset is a little after 8pm, sunrise comes 12 hours later, not 9 as may be more accurate.

22. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

This is fixed in the Watch OS 2 beta 5! :)

Photo pair (before sunset):
    image.png image.jpeg

Photo pair (after sunset):
    image.png image.jpeg

23. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

24. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Move your dial when "DAWN" is shown on top will give you 1st sunlight BEFORE sunrise. You should be able to start seeing thing with some light coming up outdoor.
    Move your dial when "SUNRISE" is shown on top will give you when you actually can see sun.

25. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

Sunrise in London is around 5:30am at the moment. I'm sorry, but I won't be up that early on a Saturday morning. ;)

Hopefully someone else here can help out and check it though…