Astropad's Luna Display for Turning an iPad Into a Second Screen for Mac is Now Available

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Introduced as a Kickstarter project in 2017, Astropad's Luna Display adapter turns any iPad into a second wireless display for the Mac.

The Astropad software alone is designed to mirror the Mac's display to an iPad, while the Luna Display, which plugs into a Mac using Mini DisplayPort or USB-C, extends the Mac display instead of mirroring it.

[​IMG]

Once Luna Display is plugged into a Mac and the Luna Display software has been downloaded, a connected iPad serves as an extension of the Mac, letting Mac content be accessed directly from an iPad.

[​IMG]

Astropad began taking pre-orders for Luna Display back in July, and with those orders fulfilled, the adapter is now widely available and can be purchased from the Luna Display website for $79.99.

Article Link: Astropad's Luna Display for Turning an iPad Into a Second Screen for Mac is Now Available

2. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

Nice option that should have been out at launch of iPad. I have not used an iPad in years..i have an iPhone and its big :]

3. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

I would be concerned with Latency when using wireless. Also, Duet is (if I remember correctly) $10 and all you need is a lightning cable. Seems like a cool idea, but is pretty expensive for what it does.

4. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

5. chri5dub12 macrumors newbie

chri5dub12

Great idea, latency would be a possible issue. I'm happy with Duet :)

6. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Actually Astropad is aimed at pencil users for use as a drawing pad and is wireless only.

Duet focused on creating a display only then added pencil support but not as well as Astropad and for subscription only.

7. goomba478 macrumors regular

I got this from Kickstarter and it works infinitely better than Duet because of hardware/metal support. It single handedly saved me from buying a Wacom Cintiq. Works wonders :).

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

i bought this from the website two weeks ago. i thought it's been available from the website for a while now?

9. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I have the latest version of Duet Display, and it works wirelessly now, too. It doesn't even need an adaptor for the laptop.

10. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Can it drive the iPad Pro at its full native resolution?

11. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

The Astropad devs claim that having a hardware dongle "properly" emulates an external display, I guess with fewer hacks to the system to get it working properly. It might mean it stays more stable across macOS versions, or works better with hardware graphics acceleration, or something.

12. mronge macrumors newbie

mronge

This depends on the Mac model. If you have a recent Mac (2016 or newer), the answer is YES!

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I’m a backer from Kickstarter. Luna works great and is fantastic! Duet is not even in the same league. Highly recommend!!

14. jakebrosy macrumors member

Having tried multiple products for accomplishing this I'm hesitant to plunk another chunk of cash down.

Particularly since Astropad has no provision for returning a poor performing device. Let me state this clearly: If you don't like the performance of the Luna Display Adapter you're stuck with it. Forever.

I have too many useless fidgety bits abandoned in desk drawers to jump again.

15. cburdett macrumors newbie

I can confirm what @jakebrosy says. I even reached out to them and got the following:

We have a warranty return period limited up to 30 days.
    Not the same as an actual return policy. Looks like you can't send it back unless the company agrees it's broken.

16. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

17. cburdett macrumors newbie

No idea. Haven't tried it again in a while. Just sort of gave up on mirroring to an iPad.

18. Mraccountname macrumors newbie

Lol, you typed the :] emoticon instead of :)

19. gugy macrumors 68030

Astropad is awesome but I have Duet and honestly no reason to pay $79 for it. Too expensive.

20. subjonas macrumors 65816

I draw digitally for a living and drawing in duet pro was not suitable for me. Astropad is passable, but the lack of extended display support was a deal-breaker. If Luna works well, Astropad/Luna will be the clear winner, especially considering duet pro is subscription only.

But with rumors of the new iPad Pro switching from lightning to usbc, I’m wondering if Apple is finally providing native video in / pencil out support.

21. robinp macrumors 6502

My Luna arrived a few days ago. I’ve used it once in ‘anger’ and it was marvellous. I’ve not tried pencil support yet, but as a high resolution extra display for my MacBook Pro when on the move, it is as good as could be hoped for. Very slick.

22. cburdett macrumors newbie

UPDATE: They updated their terms with a new return policy (apparently hastily written since there are spelling errors. And with words like "can ONLY be...original packaging...14 days" it's definitely a begrudging policy. Of course, they probably know more about the satisfaction of their end users so I expect the policy was written accordingly.

Return Policy
    Luna Display may only be exchanged or returned for a full refund with the original receipt and in like new condition in the original packaging within 14 days of purchase. Please contact support@astro-hq.com when you wish to being [sic] the return process."​

23. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I believe they offer a 14-day return period, but that is irrelevant in my eyes. I'm telling you guys (and gals), Luna works great and I can't see why someone would want to return it given how good it works. This little device is well worth $79...

24. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

I'm probably speaking out of turn here, and to be clear... I'm not an attorney and don't play one on TV... but there are consumer protection laws that should apply here, particularly because you're ordering remotely. In addition, most major credit cards provide extended protection services. If you have a problem with *anything* that doesn't work and can't get the vendor to make good... call your credit card provider.

25. g3nw1 macrumors newbie

Be VERY cautious on ANY product you purchase from this company, they tricked original users into purchasing the app and recommended certain pens. then updated app with features that should have been made available for original users for free. But they created a new SUBSCRIPTION app only for pro users (The same users it was originally intended and marketed towards). Then to top the insult off!. They recently announced that now only focusing on Apple pencil. Which is a huge FU to its original customers who invested in them and trusted in their recommendations.

Yet another greedy developer who just sees its customers as cash cows. and thinks its software even merits making people pay a yearly fee.

I would NOT purchase anything this company ever offers. They will burn their customers again for sure.