Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Astropad today announced the launch of "Project Blue," a new public beta initiative that introduces cross-platform support for connecting an iPad to a PC. With the beta, iPad artists can use an iPad as a wireless drawing tablet for a PC by mirroring their Windows desktop to their iPads.

Prior to today, the Astropad software could turn an iPad into a drawing device able to be used with a Mac, but the functionality is now available for iPad owners who want to use a PC instead of a Mac.

Project Blue is optimized for drawing with the Apple Pencil, and the iPad's touch gestures can be customized to access tools and shortcuts in Windows apps. An iPad can be paired with a Windows PC over WiFi or using a USB connection.

astropad-project-blue-1.jpg

Project Blue requires a PC laptop or desktop running Windows 10 64-bit build 1809 or later and an iPad running iOS 9.1 or later.

For the time being, Project Blue is available for free, and later this year, it will be folded into the full suite of Astropad products. Those who want to test out Project Blue can sign up on Astropad's website.

Article Link: Astropad's 'Project Blue' Beta Turns an iPad Into a Drawing Tablet for a PC

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
wow. The Clan of Mac strikes again.
The M1 chip is ok for great battery life and laptops.

But for Pro users who need the Raw power of the AMD Threadripper Chip PC is the way to GO.
Big Sur is a mess on some older Macs
Windows 10 runs on anything you throw at it. The most compatible OS there is.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Is "PC" supposed to mean Windows computer? Because it really just stands for "Personal Computer" which also includes Apple computers. Saying "Windows PC" makes sense. Saying "PC" by itself, just leads to confusion.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I like this! This solves a big problem for me. I am looking at buying a Windows laptop as my next laptop (yep). Partly this is due to the lack of self-repair options, but also due to the fact that I am heavily dependent on Windows for certain software. I also like the self-repair options that come with Windows PCs. Being able to use my iPad as a drawing tablet would be really helpful.

fortuneteller33

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I like this! This solves a big problem for me. I am looking at buying a Windows laptop as my next laptop (yep). Partly this is due to the lack of self-repair options, but also due to the fact that I am heavily dependent on Windows for certain software. I also like the self-repair options that come with Windows PCs. Being able to use my iPad as a drawing tablet would be really helpful.
Not many Windows laptops out there these days with “self-repair options” lets be honest (yep). You sound like a trolling Microsoft or Intel Exec with very little knowledge of the actual product space you’re commenting about. Curious though, what Windows “certain software” are you dependent on that you can‘t run on MacOS?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Okasian

fortuneteller33

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
They are while Mac users end up with a MBP and an iPad.
And yet the Windows PC/Tablet experience is garbage. I’ve owned almost every Surface product since conception and each one I’ve returned in less than 30 days - not to mention how jarring the horizontal/vertical change in Windows 8, 10 has been when orientating your device. Don’t even get me started on the pen input...

I type this btw on a 11” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard with an i7 Mac Mini connected to a Cintiq 24” Wacom Tablet (on Ergo stand) sitting next to me and a 13” MacBook Pro with Touch bar in a dresser drawer that I rarely use - I still prefer this experience over another Surface device, but really wish Apple would release a larger iPad/iMac/MacBook as that convergence is really what we’ve all been waiting for since 2010...

Reactions: amartinez1660

biffuz

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Kinda ironic for a device that, 10 years ago, was predicted to replace PCs...

... and to never have a stylus ...

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I tried this a few times with my Mac and free versions wouldn't allow me to utilize the full size of the iPad screen wireless do to resolution differences. unless you use it with a usb wire there is a 3-4 second lag even sitting right on top of wireless router. It also crash quit a lot. they love to show that video and screen shot of the Mac mini running the iPad as a wireless display for it. when I set up everything myself though to copy that setup it crashed like all hell. it was totally unusable if you wanted to use it for serious work. yet they still show that setup like it was actually feasible. Maybe im unlucky but I was extremely unhappy with my dongle from them.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
But wasn't Justin Long just telling me that the great thing about PCs is that they're already both a tablet and a desktop?

A lot of PC laptops these days like the $500 Lenovo Yoga 6 already have touch and pen inputs so this just shows iPad is only good as an overpriced PC dongle accessory.

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Not many Windows laptops out there these days with “self-repair options” lets be honest (yep). You sound like a trolling Microsoft or Intel Exec with very little knowledge of the actual product space you’re commenting about. Curious though, what Windows “certain software” are you dependent on that you can‘t run on MacOS?
Depends on your definition of self-repair. For many being able to open up the unit and swap out a SSD or RAM is self-repair and UPGRADABLE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.