Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I've wanted a mobile second display for a while. I'd prefer something that had more than just USB-C, though.

I don't use my laptop much while actually moving around, but instead I bring it places and set it up with a mouse and sometimes even keyboard. This would make it an even more versatile mobile workstation that you can deploy.

Thanks for those who've recommended Duet for the iPad. I've looked into that and it looks great -- though sadly won't work on my 1st gen iPad (was hoping to find a good use for it).

dabunting

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016
Packwood WA
Big fan of ASUS's USB displays. I got one real cheap (like $50 vs the 110 or whatever) and love it.

Thank you for your forum input.

Question: By any chance have you connected this ASUS monitor directly by lightning to USB cable to a iPhone (mine is 5S) to mirror the iPhone screen?
[doublepost=1460349194][/doublepost]
OK, just realized I was looking at pictures of the 169B+ on Asus' website. Maybe the 169C+ does have a USB-C port and not just a USB-C to USB 3 micro B cable.

I agree. A device like this should have two USB-C ports on it so one could be hooked to the power supply and the other to the laptop so they both could get power from an AC outlet instead of relying on battery power.

Why not just a USB charger/hub? don't have the reference here but saw one advertised yesterday

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Thank you for your forum input.

Question: By any chance have you connected this ASUS monitor directly by lightning to USB cable to a iPhone (mine is 5S) to mirror the iPhone screen?

I very much doubt that that will work; the displays use the "DisplayLink" software that has to be installed on the computer in advance (if a Mac; Under Windows, Update finds the software pretty quickly, but a reboot is needed.) Not sure if what you're looking to do is possible, but I would be very doubtful if it's as easy as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.