Asus debuts two new phones

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Jan 5, 2015.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/asus-zenfone-2-ces-2015/

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/asus-zenfone-zoom-ces-2015/

I will be keeping a close on eye the $200 version

2. Transmission.ap macrumors newbie

I wonder...

Why is Asus alone on the 4GB of RAM bandwagon?

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Both the ZenFone 2 and Zoom look nice.

On the ZenFone 2, I wonder how much the 4gb version will cost? I would be willing to pay another $100.

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

"Starting at $199 unsubsidized when it reaches US Shores" - from endgadget.

Unfreakinbelievable !!

5. iBlazed, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Ughhh there goes another $200....

I seriously have a problem. But I HAVE to have it. It's so pretty. I wonder how the update support will be, and I can't tell if those buttons are software buttons or if they're capacitative buttons. Capacitative buttons are a huge turnoff.

Also, what's the deal with this ZenUI? Why not good old stock android? Why do some manufacturers choose to put their own crappy skin on top of Android. I like how Motorola does it, stock all the way.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep agreed. From the videos I've watched there is still some stutters with the Zen UI despite the quad core Intel processor and 4gb ram...

Seriously put stock android and it would likely fly rather than saddle it with zen UI.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I really don't get the logic behind it. Seems like they're going out of their way to make the phone slower when the pure Android experience is superior. Why not just save their time and money and leave it the way it was meant to be?

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Hehehe! I remember when Android was first coming out and many people touted as a strength the ability for vendor to customize the UI to give a unique user experience. Hee Hee Hee!

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

In my opinion, this "strength" was always a weakness. It's caused fragmentation and an inconsistent user experience. If a user chooses to customize their UI that's fine, but manufacturers should leave it alone.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

[​IMG]

If the $200 price tag is real, I'll be buying one. Intel must be heavily subsidizing these things.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I'm kinda salivating over it. Despite the stupid android skin and capacitative buttons. I mean, if they were going with capacitative, couldn't they at least go with the Lollipop style buttons?

12. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

True, true. That was the counter argument.

13. Altis macrumors 68020

They look very nice, great specs, and super affordable. It'll certainly clean out the low-mid range of phones.

14. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Then we wouldn't have features like true split screen multitasking, IR blaster, myriad of Samsung S exclusives, knock to wake, ecetera ecetera.

I get where you're coming from, but OEM skins offer more than just a visual makeover. They're usually packed with goodies you just can't find in pure android. A good blend of both should be the recipe so consumers can get equal ends of the spectrum.

15. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

^^^^ this. Completely agree. Look at HTC Sense...great Android skin. Probably the best out there. TW is good but needs a little UI improvements. But without all these overlays.......pure Android is a little boring to me.

16. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I hear you , but just want to say I would love more Samsung goolgle edition devices. They keep the best items (for me) that are OEM specific and keep stock android. Multiwindow is probably the main feature I'd probably miss. Knock to wake wouldn't hurt either.

So sad it seems discontinued. So many product lines and they can the one that's perfect for me :p

17. nordique macrumors 6502a

Perfect, just what I was looking for - Zenfone 2 looks like the phone that hits a sweet price point

I hope they come to Canada and are priced well. @ 249$, I would jump on that

18. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znleHMkPpAw

This video has a HDR comparison mode with a Note 4 towards the end
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBwOQpRyrs

19. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Goodness. When does the Zen2 arrive in the US?

20. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Because they want to differentiate, because they want to make it look like iOS. Because pure Android doesn't sell as well. If people really hate on skins, then the likes of Samsung, LG, and Sony would not be beating Motorola phones and the Nexus line year in and year out.

21. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

samsung, lg, sony all have extra hardware that moto and nexus lack. sd card/removable and/or bigger battery/ ir blaster/ better cameras. I'm not so sure that it is the skin that is making the sale (with the exception of the Note). you certainly have a point though.

22. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Yeah..i agree that the hardware definitely helps. It also doesn't help that Nexus devices and the recent Motorola phones (while great in most other aspects) don't take great pictures.

Still the point remains that pure Android isn't that much of an incentive for many --- only tech nerds like us.

23. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

yes indeed, but not only pure android but quick updates (which is good for security too)! :)

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

Asus have been releasing some very solid phones at competitive prices during the past year. Zenfone 5 is a really good phone for $160. Same can apply to the Zenfone 6 for $70 more here locally. Both are usually out of stock. Asus was even kind to release a cheaper version of the Zenfone 5 called the 5 Lite and Fonepad 7 for the Philippine market.

If Xiaomi doesn't attack the Western market soon, Asus may just steal alot of it from them. Perhaps companies like Huawei, Lenovo, and Archos will soon follow. I am also very interested in the Archos 50 Diamond. But I am also tempted with the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 and Nexus 6. I have 4.7 and 5 inch screen phones. I want to go to my absolute limit in size at near 6 inches. I can never go back to any screen smaller than 4.3. This phablet-loving Asian trend has got me dreaming even bigger with screen and battery life.

25. nordique macrumors 6502a

Those of you familiar with Asus phones in general, which are the best/most recent phones right now? (are any available in Canada?)

Their naming system has me so lost...Zenfone 4 then 6...then 5? Now 2? :confused: