Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
There are four things that all of these competitors need to have for me to even be able to consider replacing an iPad.

1. Battery. Anything less than 9-10 hours is unaccceptable.
2. Display. If companies go with low quality cheaper displays with poor viewing angles, it's unacceptable.
3. Snappiness.
4. Heat. It has to be cool.

imapfsr

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Victoria, B.C.
I have a Compaq TC-1000 tablet. It will run circles around the iPad in the area of being a REAL computer. It runs real, and Full Applications.

The one place where Apple outperforms, is in that the iPad runs the very small Apps very fast. So, it's a trade-off. A real tablet computer, or a large iPod Touch......

And I'm serious, the TC-1000 was out a few years ago. It is a GREAT computer with the addition of an optional keyboard that folds up with the tablet.

Now, if Asus and Microsoft can get the performance speed up...... Apple could have real competition. http://www.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/compaq-tc1000.shtml

Now, where are the Android tablets?

Come on Scooterman,
I had the HP T1100CA, basically the same model but for Canada and it was ****. The touch screen was absolute crap and looked amazingly horrible. It locked up all the time..gotta love Vista and to top it off there was an issue where it over heated and screwed up the video card so the display wouldnt come on any more making it a useless computer after about 2 years. If you feel that model is better than the iPad, you my friend, are high as a kite.
Just my experienced two cents

randystand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
They are all so ugly compared to iPad. I wouldn't buy one purely on how they look. I'm glad I chose to go with iPad.

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
Does this thing actually need an external keyboard to enter text?

or, with the help of a keyboard docking station, full-featured PC

Putting the fanboys to one side a moment, W7 is a much improved Windows operating system, if a little annoying to those of us who spend most of our time on OS X, but its fully touch compatible correct?
If they could implement a usable iPad style keyboard on it and spend some money on build quality, then this could actually compete.
But it will have to at least match apples battery life...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Good to see this device. The more the better and if they can pull off a full Win OS with 10 hours or battery, people will buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.