Asus Eee PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by timmillwood, Nov 22, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Anyone seen this cool little thing??

It's a 7" laptop which runs linux out of the box. Has a 900mhz intel processer, 512MB ram (upgradable to 1gb), 4gb SSD drive (upgradable via SD or USB), Wi-fi, USB, SD slot, webcam.

All for $399 or £219.

What a bargin, I am getting this as my everyday computer then I will swap my macbook pro for an iMac when i'm in the house.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

One of my girlfriends bought one recently and seems impressed with it, the cpu only runs at 600MHz and the battery is a bit pathetic but otherwise she loves the thing to bits.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I think they look sweet too. Arstechnica did a review on them a few days ago. In the absence of a thinner and lighter mac to replace my 12" powerbook I might be swayed. We'll have to see what Macworld brings....

4. dcv macrumors G3

Yeah, this was posted here a while ago. Looks good and I'd consider getting one just for travel purposes, especially given its £200ish price tag.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Also considering one here. £200 can't really be knocked can it.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Very tempted, but I'll probably wait for the 8G version.

8. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well as soon as I can find stock I will be jumping on the band wagon.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm sticking with my UX's and TZ. But one of my colleagues is testing one out to be a potential replacement to an in-car Mini.

10. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the price is the best think. I would love a Sony UX or a Flybook but they cost as much as a Macbook Pro.

I just want something to browse the net around the house and when going away.

11. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Ever heard of Google? ;)

Asus Eee PC

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While I think it is a cool laptop, I can not say I have any intentions of buying one. Now a 12" MacBook Pro on the other hand... :)

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Nice timing, I just stumbled upon this recently too. I'm tempted, but $400 can do a lot of good in other places right now. (Including saving up for the fabled ultralight MBP, if that ever shows up...)

It does look like a slick little machine (especially the black one).

15. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

16. island macrumors 6502

island

I picked up one to hold me over until an ultraportable mac comes around. What a sweet machine with either Linux or XP depending on what you feel like running.

Linux is great for those who need a basic setup (real easy to use) and XP is there in case you need compatibility.

17. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. It has a 900mhz mobile celeron, and about 3.5hrs of battery.

That being said, I am getting one after Christmas.

18. kgarchar macrumors 6502

leo has been hacked to put it on

I think it'd be awesome with leopard. I guess it's been hacked. Totally worth it.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Due to a BIOS scaling issue, the 900MHz Celeron is running at 630MHz unless one hacks the Eee (it has to do with the FSB, if I understand correctly - the FSB is running at 70MHz instead of 100MHz, leading to processor speed effectively 630 at 9x instead of 900).

As far as the battery is concerned, the promised battery life is a pretty reasonable actual; it's shorter by quite a bit than my iBook was, but it's quite usable. I think it's really quite cute, also, aside from the fact that the fan is 100% duty cycle (albeit not too loud). It fits very easily in a sleeve in both of my briefcases -- it even fits with its power supply and a paper notebook in my smaller briefcase (which is quite small).

There are a few minor to moderate software/functionality issues -- sleep is not very power conscious, there are problems with SDHC cards, and there are a couple of lacking pieces of driver support for using distributions of Linux other than the default one.

But all in all, I love mine quite a bit.

This is mine, and how I have mine skinned. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Same here.

Just wish Apple would get on with it and release a MBP12 ultra portable.

The Asus Eee PC does look pretty cool.

21. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

it seems not soo good macbook:2GHzAsus Eee PC:900MHz

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

eee PC: $399
    Macbook: $1099

Do you ever think before you post or must you insist on posting the same old useless crap that has absolutely no thought put into it :rolleyes:

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

on the other side there is an full scaled Acer who ships for 399 euro (compared to 299 for the EEE) so i would say the size of the EEE is it's biggest advantage

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, you really buy it if you want the size/weight. Think about it... the Eee in a sleeve, it's charger, my cell phone, iPod, Nintendo DS, and all of their chargers, probably cumulatively weigh less than a Macbook, and take up less space. For travelers who don't have a lot of space (or I who am pushing back against the trend for wheeling around ever bigger roller-cases full of junk back and forth to work), the size and weight are heavenly.

Plus it's a cheap way to fool around with Linux.

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm starting to wonder why we've let it go on this long.

The Asus is pretty cool, but it costs a lot more then I can afford. Besides, my iBook G3 is really all I need.