Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
What it really comes down to is do you want Mac OS X on your laptop or not?

In any event, wait a week or 2 for the new MacBook Pros to come out.

phoenix78

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
The way i justify getting a mac is as follows:

1: do i have the extra bit of money to pay for a mac?
2: do i want to run OSX?
3: do i like the look ad feel of mac as opposed to other machines?
4: am i careful enough to not dent and scratch the Aluminium casing over the next say... 3 years?

thats it... those are my main considerations... :)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I've seen nothing but problems with Asus products in general (exception motherboards) especially their laptops.

The one I used (notice that) to use had cheap build quality and fell apart after a year or so. My sister was very unhappy with it.

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
I've had an Asus laptop for over 3 years now and it's still running fine. It still runs pretty much all the latest games. I checked out the one you linked and it looks pretty good. If all you want is a dedicated PC gaming laptop, there's no reason to not go with the Acer.

Now here's the thing. If you get the Mac, you can use Bootcamp to dual boot to XP and get the best of both worlds for some extra cost. So if you enjoy Mac/Leopard in general and all the ease of use and bells and whistles you get with a Mac, you essentially get everything for whatever extra money you are paying. I'd say that would be the nicer solution in the long run.

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I've seen nothing but problems with Asus products in general (exception motherboards) especially their laptops.

The one I used (notice that) to use had cheap build quality and fell apart after a year or so. My sister was very unhappy with it.

I hate generalizations. You simply can't say Asus products are not good because of your experience.

Of course sometimes electronic equipment can fail. Heck, even Apple computers do fail. Computers are not failsafe items.

And in case you don't know it, Asus is the ODM of Apple Macbooks, in other words, Asus manufactures the Macbook line of notebooks among other computer brands. (ODM = Original Design Manufacturer).

I have both, Apple and Asus products and I have very pleasant experiences with both brands. Oh, and I'm not generalizing. :)

Yes, I own an Asus G1S and it's been a really awesome product.

Cheers!
Rayan

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Asus G1S http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4195592&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.ASU+G1SX2

VS
Macbook Pro

Which One Is Better For Gaming But They Both Have The Same Graphics Card And Same Performance But Asus Is Cheaper Which One Is Better?

:apple: Imac 24 INCH, 2GB, ATI HD PRO, 500GB HD :apple:
:apple: Soon To Have A Asus G1S Or MacBook Pro :apple:

According to that page, Asus has a Core Duo processor, not Core 2 Duo. Also, its not THAT much cheaper, considering the CPU difference, the form factor and quality of the MBP, and of course the experience of using a Mac.

BTW, why do you need it for gaming? You already have a nice iMac for that, that is slightly faster in games than even the MBP.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The way i justify getting a mac is as follows:

1: do i have the extra bit of money to pay for a mac?
2: do i want to run OSX?
3: do i like the look ad feel of mac as opposed to other machines?
4: am i careful enough to not dent and scratch the Aluminium casing over the next say... 3 years?

thats it... those are my main considerations... :)

Keep in mind that Alu of the MBP WILL NOT dent under normal laptop use for most people. Only reckless acts would dent the alu. I've seen low height drops, MBP been step on that result in no physical damage of MBP (not recommended, results might differ for different situations).

All materials scratch. alu, plastic, even diamonds can be scratched with the right material.

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
According to that page, Asus has a Core Duo processor, not Core 2 Duo. Also, its not THAT much cheaper, considering the CPU difference, the form factor and quality of the MBP, and of course the experience of using a Mac.

BTW, why do you need it for gaming? You already have a nice iMac for that, that is slightly faster in games than even the MBP.

That is wrong...

The Asus G1S has a Core 2 Duo processor (heck, even the older model G1P has a Core 2 Duo CPU), in fact you have several to choose from, ranging from 2.0 to 2.5 Ghz. Mine has a T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz. And by the way, Asus just recently released a BIOS update for the G1S that enables Penryn support on the G1S which is really good news.

Oh well... The bottom line is that both lappies can do a good job with games... The only thing you need to put into consideration is whether you want to run OSX (natively) or not.

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Something that no one has mentioned here is:

• The MBP has lower screen resolution (1440 x 900 vs 1680x1050)
  • The MBP has no media reader
  • The MBP has no HDMI output
  • The MBP does not come with matching backpack (by Targus)
  • The MBP does not have 2 Yr MFG warranty
  • The MBP does not have e-SATA external port
  • The MBP does not come with gaming mouse
  • The MBP has no Lightscribe Optical Drive
  • The MBP has no OLED mini-display

And that's only if you compare it with the 256 Vram/160 HDD MPB version otherwise the G1S can't be compared with the "lower spec'd" MBP at all.

Don't get me wrong, the MBP is a really awesome product, but in comparison and above all, considering the price I personally think the Asus G1S is a better option overall if OSX is not your primary interest.

Cheers!
Rayan

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
That is wrong...

The Asus G1S has a Core 2 Duo processor (heck, even the older model G1P has a Core 2 Duo CPU), in fact you have several to choose from, ranging from 2.0 to 2.5 Ghz. Mine has a T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz. And by the way, Asus just recently released a BIOS update for the G1S that enables Penryn support on the G1S which is really good news.

Oh well... The bottom line is that both lappies can do a good job with games... The only thing you need to put into consideration is whether you want to run OSX (natively) or not.

I said "according to that page". And that page (in the OP) NEVER says that Asus has Core 2 Duo, but 4 times mentions it has Core Duo. Yes I counted it.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
I hate generalizations. You simply can't say Asus products are not good because of your experience.

Of course sometimes electronic equipment can fail. Heck, even Apple computers do fail. Computers are not failsafe items.

And in case you don't know it, Asus is the ODM of Apple Macbooks, in other words, Asus manufactures the Macbook line of notebooks among other computer brands. (ODM = Original Design Manufacturer).

I have both, Apple and Asus products and I have very pleasant experiences with both brands. Oh, and I'm not generalizing. :)

Yes, I own an Asus G1S and it's been a really awesome product.

Cheers!
Rayan

Because assuming Asus is good from your experiences isn't exactly the same thing Fearless Leader is doing?

Right. I love clueless hypocrites.

In fact, if you thought about, the quality of a computer has more to do with the quality control emphasis of the end firm and the positioning of the computer; the same factories can produce both cheap trash and high-end, luxury goods.

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
@eXan,

I should have said "That INFO is wrong"... I was referring to the page not you... :D

@Sauron's Master,

Clueless hypocrite you said?

Same to you man... I'm just trying to give the OP some facts that might help him decide which laptop is good for him. In fact, I tried to be as un-biased as possible since I own both platforms and stated at the end of my posts "The bottom line is that both lappies can do a good job with games... The only thing you need to put into consideration is whether you want to run OSX (natively) or not." and "Don't get me wrong, the MBP is a really awesome product, but in comparison and above all, considering the price I personally think the Asus G1S is a better option overall if OSX is not your primary interest." so cut the cr4p!

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
@eXan,

I should have said "That INFO is wrong"... I was referring to the page not you... :D

@Sauron's Master,

Clueless hypocrite you said?

Same to you man... I'm just trying to give the OP some facts that might help him decide which laptop is good for him. In fact, I tried to be as un-biased as possible since I own both platforms and stated at the end of my posts "The bottom line is that both lappies can do a good job with games... The only thing you need to put into consideration is whether you want to run OSX (natively) or not." and "Don't get me wrong, the MBP is a really awesome product, but in comparison and above all, considering the price I personally think the Asus G1S is a better option overall if OSX is not your primary interest." so cut the cr4p!

You are generalizing from your experience, something you were previously railing against when it was against the Asus G1S.

Hence, you are clueless about your bias and rather hypocritical. The reality is that purchase advice always consists of generalization because no one is going to do a large sample data analysis for every question possible.

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
You are generalizing from your experience, something you were previously railing against when it was against the Asus G1S.

Hence, you are clueless about your bias and rather hypocritical. The reality is that purchase advice always consists of generalization because no one is going to do a large sample data analysis for every question possible.

Whatever man... The thing is that facts are what counts when giving a recommendation towards a brand, and I made my part by listing some bullet points to the OP so he can form his own opinion. And let me repeat myself here... "these as long as he don't care about what OS he wants to use", if OSX is a must, then MBP is the way to go...

You need to cool down a bit... It's just a freaking computer for God's sake! :D

El Cid

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
NOLA
But why Vista?

Something that no one has mentioned here is:

• The MBP has lower screen resolution (1440 x 900 vs 1680x1050)
  • The MBP has no media reader
  • The MBP has no HDMI output
  • The MBP does not come with matching backpack (by Targus)
  • The MBP does not have 2 Yr MFG warranty
  • The MBP does not have e-SATA external port
  • The MBP does not come with gaming mouse
  • The MBP has no Lightscribe Optical Drive
  • The MBP has no OLED mini-display

And that's only if you compare it with the 256 Vram/160 HDD MPB version otherwise the G1S can't be compared with the "lower spec'd" MBP at all.

Don't get me wrong, the MBP is a really awesome product, but in comparison and above all, considering the price I personally think the Asus G1S is a better option overall if OSX is not your primary interest.

Cheers!
Rayan

Some good points, but why would you by a windows gaming laptop with Windows Vista? All recent tests, as do annecdotal accounts say that XP out preforms Vista on just about every video measure with identical hardware. Buying a gaming PC with Vista is like buying a sports car with cheap tires and poor suspension.

If you want the best of both worlds get a Macbook pro, and add windows XP. May cost more in the short term, but the flexibility, OS and resale value are more than make up for the cost difference.

E

Rayan

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Some good points, but why would you by a windows gaming laptop with Windows Vista? All recent tests, as do annecdotal accounts say that XP out preforms Vista on just about every video measure with identical hardware. Buying a gaming PC with Vista is like buying a sports car with cheap tires and poor suspension.

If you want the best of both worlds get a Macbook pro, and add windows XP. May cost more in the short term, but the flexibility, OS and resale value are more than make up for the cost difference.

E

True to some extent...

Let me explain...

When I got my first G1 (first generation) more than a year ago, it came with Vista and it was not performing very good specially on games, so I decided to downgrade it to XP and wow, what a difference!

But now that I got the latest G1S which also came with Vista, I was ready to downgrade it to XP again but decided to give it another try and fortunately this time around Vista outperforms XP in many respects, including games (a couple of tweaks where needed tho ;) ). I'm not sure if all the Vista updates that came out during this last year helped or not but Vista is really shining this time for me. But obviously that didn't stopped me in trying XP on my G1S so I decided to try that route also and to my surprise, Vista still outperforms XP in speed and just yesterday I installed Vista's Service Pack 1 RTM (yes I got that from bittorrent) and that hammered the last nail over XP!

I noticed a huge increase in performance overall, even games like Crysis gained a substantial performance increase in my experience. Post SP1 I was getting around 20 fps and now since SP1 I'm at 27 fps which is very good in my opinion. I've been playing the latest and greatest PC games without any problems (Crysis, Call of Duty 4, NFS Pro Street, Guitar Hero III, HL2 Orange Box, Flight Simulator X Deluxe, Kane & Lynch DM, WoW, etc...)

True.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.