Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no apple logo!

Phokus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no apple logo!

Slap an apple sticker on it :p

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I think this is going to be a game changer in both the tablet and phone space. With something like this, you only have to pay for ONE cellular data plan (rather than 1 for a phone and 1 for a tablet) and you only have to install your data/apps on one device.

The problem with your theory is that it doesn't apply to everyone, I use my iPhone and my iPad for two different purposes with two different set of apps.

Also, paying for one data plan is up-to the Carrier, not the manufacturer.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
The problem with your theory is that it doesn't apply to everyone, I use my iPhone and my iPad for two different purposes with two different set of apps.

The CPU/GPU/WIFI/GPS/Cellular radio are all in the phone. When you put it into the pad, you're using the phone's radios and chips (there's nothing in the pad).

I think this new pad/phone is going to use Android Icecream which is the convergence between the separate Android phone and tablet OS's.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010

I was about to say the same thing. The carriers will probably make you pay a tethering charge or something with it.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
I was about to say the same thing. The carriers will probably make you pay a tethering charge or something with it.

The tablet doesn't tether to the phone. It uses the phone's cellular radio.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I thought this was interesting... until the engadget video said the pad is basically a display with a battery. So I take it that the phone has to be in it for you to use it as a pad? Insteresting, but I still like using my iPhone and my iPad as separate devices. I don't really need to use my iPad as a phone... but it's nice to see technology going in different directions.

Ava's Meeshee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Yes it's "nice" to see talent and physical resouces wasted on landfiller in a crumbling economy/ecosystem. "Competition is good".

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think this is a very interesting idea. Although, I am with most iPad users in wanting a standalone device.

What I really want is what the HP Touchpad and Pre 3/Veer has in their Touchstone technology - the ability to answer calls and texts and transfer webpages from the phone to the tablet. The calls thing isn't a big deal since I usually have my bluetooth headphones on connected to my iPhone to listen to music, so I can just answer the call from the headphones, but texts and calendar alerts are another thing. I'd love an option to sync the iPhone to the iPad to receive texts, notifications, calendar alerts, etc. exclusively on my iPad when I'm using it. I'm not expecting this in iOS 5, but it would be great to have.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
From the practical standpoint of the manufacturer, this idea makes sense: you create a single unit that provides storage and processing, which incidentally you could also use as a phone, then you can make extension screens of various sizes, from 7" to 13" if those are sizes people want. Really simplifies the product line and gives the user lots of options.

The main thing that sucks about the design they show is that it looks like widescreen. Why would you want that? I use my iPad landscape most of the time, but if you are telling me you want to take away a sixth of my screen while also making it essentially unusable in the other orientation, kthxbai.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I know there are many that will hate it just due to no Apple logo.

However, in reality (if we dismiss this model for the moment and just talk generally)

If we assume we all have phones, and the phone does everything.

Makes calls, SMS, Music, Video's, Nice camera with flash unit, and has the storage memory to hold your data.

If we take that as a given.

When you come home just plug this phone that does everything into the back of something like this, then you get the large screen for movies and different games, and your phone gets recharged in the process.

It's not THAT bad a concept I don't think.

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
I am unconvinced by the need to physically attach the two devices together, which renders the phone locked away in its compartment and presumably no longer usable as a phone. I guess this may be overcome to some extent with bluetooth headsets but it strikes me as gimmicky and probably destined for a niche market at best.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Ok it might be a neat idea for some, but me... I just would not find a use for it. I would find it limiting.

At the moment I am typing this on my iPhone while watching a film on my iPad. I quite often use my two devices for completely different tasks.

Also... Considering the "Pad" part is just a dock and a screen, isn't it awfully thick and clumsey looking?

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Also... Considering the "Pad" part is just a dock and a screen, isn't it awfully thick and clumsey looking?

One of my first impressions was indeed that the bit where the phone sits does look rather chunky. I know that is only a mock up but if it makes it to production, I would hope they manage to refine the design rather a lot.

I also suspect that the added complexity of the phone integration might force the price up compared with other tabs of similar size.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
One of my first impressions was indeed that the bit where the phone sits does look rather chunky. I know that is only a mock up but if it makes it to production, I would hope they manage to refine the design rather a lot.

I also suspect that the added complexity of the phone integration might force the price up compared with other tabs of similar size.

Well, if we are looking towards the future here......

Assuming phone's of the future have a lot more power than today and also naturally a lot more storage, so let's say Quad core 2Ghz Phones with 128GB Storage, 10mp camera's etc etc.

Then all the Tablet is, is the docking port, the large touch screen and a large battery with perhaps a few ports around the outside and that's it.

There won't need to be any CPU, Memory etc, in the tablet at all.
The phone would be the "Engine" so to speak.

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Well, if we are looking towards the future here......

Assuming phone's of the future have a lot more power than today and also naturally a lot more storage, so let's say Quad core 2Ghz Phones with 128GB Storage, 10mp camera's etc etc.

Then all the Tablet is, is the docking port, the large touch screen and a large battery with perhaps a few ports around the outside and that's it.

There won't need to be any CPU, Memory etc, in the tablet at all.
The phone would be the "Engine" so to speak.

To some extent, this makes sense as more and more powerful smartphones are appearing all the time. The Tegra 2 is already used in them, right? And the current iPhone has the same or similar CPU to the previous iPad. Even in that case, the main reservations I would have would still revolve around tying up the phone to act as the engine for the tablet.

Incidentally, a further increase in cost would be the additional screen on the phone, which would obviously be required outside of the tab but presumably useless in it. I am just struggling to imagine a usage pattern that would make this beneficial.

But hey, I thought the iPad was a daft idea when it first came out. Now I would not be without one.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It's a design exercise. They brought it out to gauge public interest in the idea. The prototype shown doesn't function, it is just a mockup.

Many phones and most tablets these days have HDMI outputs. The iPad does with an adapter.

Most tablets are small phone motherboards with a big battery (or two) and big screen.

Asus is just exploring the logical regression of thought here: Use the HDMI port of the phone to drive a big(ger) screen, and use the screen to provide space for a bigger battery to power/charge the phone.

I'm not sure what the usage case for such a product would be. It is a product looking for a market. I can't see one fitting into my daily routine.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
If you ask me I think it's pure genius to invent such a device. Truly one of a kind. Whether it goes mainstream and becomes incredibly popular or not is another story, guess time will tell.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
To some extent, this makes sense as more and more powerful smartphones are appearing all the time. The Tegra 2 is already used in them, right? And the current iPhone has the same or similar CPU to the previous iPad. Even in that case, the main reservations I would have would still revolve around tying up the phone to act as the engine for the tablet.

Incidentally, a further increase in cost would be the additional screen on the phone, which would obviously be required outside of the tab but presumably useless in it. I am just struggling to imagine a usage pattern that would make this beneficial.

But hey, I thought the iPad was a daft idea when it first came out. Now I would not be without one.

I would of course expect multitasking from such a device, so, say the phone rings in the middle of a game, you could answer the phone and talk on the phone, hands free (speaker phone style) whilst you are still using the tablet.

I'm not saying everyone would love the idea, but there is some merit in it.
As opposed to having two devices you have to keep in sync, two lots of apps, two set of data etc etc.

I could see some people thinking it was a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.