Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Just posting this because I know I couldn't find any information about this anywhere.

Just got my 4k 28" ASUS PB287Q a couple days ago. I was worried that there were going to be screen glitches like with the Samsung U28D590D. I'm happy to report that the PB287Q appears to work perfectly at 60hz (on a new mac pro with stock "low-end" ATI card). Just have to change the displayport mode from 1.1 to 1.2 in the monitor settings.

I think this makes this monitor the one to get for Mac Users. I got it for $650 from Newegg.

Pretty happy with it so far. It does feel small though compared to the HP 30" one I was using before. The screen is very sharp (like looking at a Retina Macbook/Ipad), but at the viewing distance at my workstation, its not a jaw-dropping difference from my previous monitor.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Maybe this only applies to 4k displays, but how do you change the DP mode from 1.1 to 1.2? On the actual monitor or in system preferences on the mac?

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
On this monitor, it was in the settings on the monitor itself.

Overall must say I'm pretty pleased with the monitor. I wish it were 30 or 32". I have it next to my my HPZR30w and HPZR22w (I think they are IPS panels), and the screen holds up pretty well.

The only thing I'd say is that coming from a 30" screen as the primary display, this one (at 28") feels a little small, and I think just barely big enough to notice the benefits of its high pixel-density.

terscion

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Hey tommyleeh, is the Mac Pro that you have the new Cylinder one? Because I was reading some other comments on the Apple Support page that stated that the PB287 has screen tearing issues on the right edge. So you're saying you're not experiencing any such thing? Thanks!

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Yes, it's the new mac pro, cylinder. I have the "low end" version. I think people having tearing issues were referring to the Samsung 28" monitor. I haven't had any graphical glitches at all.

The only problems I've had is waking from sleep, and it can sometimes be a bit painful getting windows 8 to recognize the monitor on boot up (but I have a 3 monitor setup, which I think is complicating it). But with a little bit of persistence, everything comes up and works great.

terscion

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Hey Tommyleeh. Just tried out the PB287Q on my Mac Pro (running D700s). Changed Displayport to 1.2 as suggested, but for some reason it only runs at 56Hz. Also, screen tearing is present on the right edge... so you're saying all you did was change the Displayport setting? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,113

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Hey Tommyleeh. Just tried out the PB287Q on my Mac Pro (running D700s). Changed Displayport to 1.2 as suggested, but for some reason it only runs at 56Hz. Also, screen tearing is present on the right edge... so you're saying all you did was change the Displayport setting? Thanks!

Yes, that's all i did. I have a lower-end macpro (D300s).

I just plugged it in, noticed things looked fine, but choppy, noticed it was in Displayport 1.1 at 30hz, so changed it to 1.2.. and all was good. Didn't do anything else.

Mine says its running at 60hz.

thanxal

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
Screen tearing ASUSPB287Q/Mac Pro D700

I'm having the same screen tearing problem on the ASUS PB287Q with the upper end D700 graphics cards in the Mac Pro. It appears that Display Port 1,2 only works properly when the display is set to its native resolution at 3840x2160. Changing that will immediately cause the tearing. Of course, you could always set the monitor to Display Port 1,1 but that shifts the monitor to 30hz refresh which causes noticeable lag. The monitor works just fine on my Retina Macbook Pro on the Display Port 1,2 settings so it must be a driver issue with the upper end D700s, since the lower end D500s appear not to have this problem.

finnmaccool

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
which retina MBP for 60Hz?

@thanxal - which MBP do you have that's driving at 60Hz? I've got a late 2013 13" MBP/Retina, and I'm only getting 30Hz refresh rates for full resolution or for HiDPI 1920x1080.

Do you have the 15"? It looks like that might be required to get 60Hz.

UPDATE:
Using SwitchResX, I was able to get the ASUS PB287Q to drive 4K (1920x1060 pixel-doubled "HiDPI") at 45Hz, rather than the max 30Hz offered through the standard Display Prefs.

Here's how: I created a custom resolution by copiing the 1920x1060 HiDPI 30Hz, and then set its vertical sync to 45Hz (and rebooted as required by SwitchResX). The 45Hz refresh rate is now available in the Display Prefs control panel, and the ASUS OSD confirms we are operating at 45Hz.

Before getting 45 to work, I also tried 50 - but even after reboot it was marked as "invalid" so I suppose I'm maxed out.

45Hz isn't 60, but it is much better than 30.

Last edited:

Venske

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
How do you connected this Display?

@thanxal - which MBP do you have that's driving at 60Hz? I've got a late 2013 13" MBP/Retina, and I'm only getting 30Hz refresh rates for full resolution or for HiDPI 1920x1080.

UPDATE:
Using SwitchResX, I was able to get the ASUS PB287Q to drive 4K (1920x1060 pixel-doubled "HiDPI") at 45Hz, rather than the max 30Hz offered through the standard Display Prefs.

Here's how: I created a custom resolution by copiing the 1920x1060 HiDPI 30Hz, and then set its vertical sync to 45Hz (and rebooted as required by SwitchResX). The 45Hz refresh rate is now available in the Display Prefs control panel, and the ASUS OSD confirms we are operating at 45Hz.

Before getting 45 to work, I also tried 50 - but even after reboot it was marked as "invalid" so I suppose I'm maxed out.

Hi, how do you have connected this ASUS 28"? With mini DP to DP?
What is possible with 45Hz to be content? Could you use motion pictures?

thx

webdevfreak

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Anybody running 4k45?

thx

Anybody else managed to get 45Hz? Did this eliminate input lag ie. The mouse pointer being sluggish? Thanks.

andy.45

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
2014 MBP 15" 2.8 Ghz NVidia to 2) external displays

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a new MBP Retina 15" 2.8 Ghz Nvidia this December 2014. I would go for the best option in this purchase so that I could make it work best with 2 external displays. I have researched and I keep landing on the PB287Q.

Can anyone please comment on both what that MBP is capable of and if you would recommend buying 2) PB287Q's or if I am looking in the wrong direction with this.

Thank you!

Last edited:

chinanderm

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2014
Iowa
I just got this monitor the other day. While I forgot to order a Displayport to mini Displayport adapter with it, I am currently struggling with 30Hz HDMI, although it is at 4K (first world problems, I know).

First impressions of the monitor are mixed. The screen clarity isn't great and I'm having a hard time calibrating the monitor to make it look at least decent compared to my Retina iMac (I know this is virtually impossible but I'm content with getting something close).

Of course, my calibration and clarity struggles could be due to 30Hz HDMI and not 60Hz displayport. Once I get that adapter (should be today), I will report back on any differences.

Those who have the monitor, how does it look compared to an Apple display? Anyone able to get it calibrated to looking similar?

Sillythink

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2014
wow I am actually buying a MBPR 15" high-end while I want a 4k monitor too.
Asus PB287Q is the best choice since the price is cheap but it require Mini-DP to DP cable. How can I get it??

finnmaccool

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010

UPDATE:

thx

I was using this DisplayPort 1.2 cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7R9I2M

It plugs into either of the thunderbolt ports on the left.

I didn't watch much video on that setup (i'm on a 5k imac now), but I recall it was fine. The bigger issue was mouse lag & general typing/productivity lag - that's where the slow refresh was noticeable. But I'm a programmer and generally pretty finicky about my setup.

I also really disliked the matte screen - I knew I prefer glossy, but until I bought this monitor I didn't realize how important that was to me. So that might contribute to my not remembering the setup with total fondness. For someone who likes or prefers matte screens, it could be a fine seutp.

pzinovieff

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
does anyone know how well this display works with a 13" late 2011 macbook pro. can't find anything about it!

litchblade

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
Hi pzinovieff,

I got my Asus PB287Q working on a 2012 rMBP with 4K resolution on 45 hz refreshrate. I needed to install the switchresx under el capitan though.

Looks like El Capitan is not optimal though right now for using 4K monitors, because there are no Hidpi resolutions above 1080p which is somehow frustrating. Im on 4K resolution now with 45 hz without hidpi, but it's fine for now.

I still hope though that there will be an update soon.

About your 2011 concerns: I don't know if they support 4K resolutions so far, but I think it will be the same as mine. I can't go above 45hz though on 2160p, but I will be happy with 1440p and hidpi on 60 hz if this works.

Cheers

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Hey Guys!

I am considering purchasing the Asus PB287Q to compliment my 27" retina iMac.

I already have a secondary Apple Cinema Display 27" monitor, but next to the 27" retina iMac, I am disappointed by the lack of real estate because I can't run the same kind of high resolution settings.

So here are my questions, particularly to the individual who has a 27" retina iMac...

1. How does this monitor get connected to the retina iMac? What cable do you recommend?

2. How does this monitor look next to the retina iMac? Do they look close in quality?

Everyone still recommending this monitor or should I wait for something better to come along?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.