Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
In the past I generally haven’t paid too much attention to niche devices like this as they haven’t tended to be good all around performers and suffered from some compromised performance (ie. camera) but this phone has peaked my interest. I’m not really a mobile gamer but the specs seem pretty impressive, especially the 120Hz display and 6000 mAh battery :eek:.

Short of knowing the quality of the camera and an ever so slight knock on the screen resolution, all the other boxes seem to be ticked—well, at least on my checklist. ;)

• Flat OLED display with no notch and symmetrical bezels that aren’t huge and an insane refresh rate
  • Latest CPU
  • Copious amounts of RAM and storage
  • Giant battery
  • Quality cashiers sensors, front and back, including an ultra-wide lens
  • In display fingerprint sensor
  • Dual USB C ports :eek: with fast charging
  • Dual front facing speakers
  • STOCK ANDROID!
The design is a touch gaudy but not as over the top as the original ROG phone. Otherwise, on paper, this looks like a beast.

Anyone else interested?

THE ROG PHONE II

1563611353376.jpg

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I just don't get "gaming phones".

So it'll cost at least $800 and plays android games, which lets be honest, theres not a great selection. For that same amount you can buy a very good phone (Pixel 3a) and a Nintendo Switch. That gets you a great phone and a MUCH better gaming device.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

So it'll cost at least $800 and plays android games, which lets be honest, theres not a great selection. For that same amount you can buy a very good phone (Pixel 3a) and a Nintendo Switch. That gets you a great phone and a MUCH better gaming device.
Not to mention PS4 remote play. This phone and the Razer Phone 2 are way too childish / blingy looking for me. Just over the top. Although I admit I was geeking out over jerryrig's teardown of the Razer Phone 2. It has actual liquid cooling, which is amazing for a cell phone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, I honestly couldn’t care less about the gaming aspects of it. Taking that element out of the picture, it still seems like a beast of a phone.

And FWIW, I read somewhere else (maybe Verge comments) that this phone is being positioned as ideal for PUBG, which is super popular on mobile in Asus’ home markets (China) so that probably speaks to a greater appeal for gaming handsets.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Take the gaming aspect out of it and its a more expensive, less refined OnePlus 7 Pro that probably wont have the same level of support or secondhand value. But thats just my opinion. Also, you can bet that the camera will be pretty bad compared to similarly priced phones.

Oh and with a battery that large, this phone is going to be a brick.

Reactions: scottcampbell

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'm more interested in the fact it's coming out in the next few days and has the 855 Plus. Which means the Pixel 4 could very well have the same cpu.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Take the gaming aspect out of it and its a more expensive, less refined OnePlus 7 Pro that probably wont have the same level of support or secondhand value. But thats just my opinion. Also, you can bet that the camera will be pretty bad compared to similarly priced phones.

Oh and with a battery that large, this phone is going to be a brick.

May very well be less refined but won’t know until people get some hands on time. I wouldn’t hang my hat on OnePlus' support, unless you’re referring to software updates.

As far as being a brick, I was a bit surprised when I took a look at its specs. It’s 32g heavier than the OP 7 Pro and only .7mm thicker, yet has 50% more battery. Again, on paper that’s pretty impressive.

Regardless, not going to see this phone in the West until September and spec on paper don’t mean a damn if it doesn’t perform in the real world. I’m keeping a cautious eye on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oohara

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just had Dave Lee’s impressions video appear today. Seems like it’s fine for non-gamers too...

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Hmm you're right, this looks like a pretty nice package indeed. The display would be basically same size as that of the OP7 Pro but without the curves. That high screen refresh should be awesome for UI smoothness if it works anything like it does on the iPad Pro. Bit of bezel which gets you nice stereo speakers. Ridiculously powerful innards making it quite future proof and a very long lasting battery (at least in theory). Headphone jack for good measure, not gonna complain about that.

For me right now the hunt is basically for the largest possible flat OLED effective (aka. undisturbed by notch/cutout) display area possible for reading and watching movies/series, without having to bring a tablet. In that regard, this thing looks like it'd best pretty much everything on the market including the upcoming Note 10 as that has a curved screen.

I'm really getting into the Apple cross-device functionality these days but I'm still reluctant to pay for a Max size phone, which anyway wouldn't get me this much display area. And if I did go back to Android, I'd definitely like to stay as near stock as possible. So, definitely gonna keep an eye on this thing... Thanks for the heads up! :)

Reactions: kazmac and tbayrgs

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Absolute beast of a thing, ASUS are coming for it all with this one!

Probably won’t be available here in South Africa, but really cool to see an OEM go ahead and put all that they can into a device.

6000mAh Battery is the big seller to me, with that much head room you can tweak the thing to be an absolute road warrior if you are not going to be gaming but need something to carry you through a long trip and layovers.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This phone looks like it could be my next. I was effectively after a Note 10 with headphone jack, but since that isn't coming my options seem to be limited to this or the S10 5G, which has other compromises like big hole and no UFS etc.

Such a tough decision as what to upgrade the Note 8 to.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

There's a whole subset of market/culture/cult around these gaming brands (ROG, Razer, Predator, etc). For OEMs like Asus who are being pinched in margins on their regular lineup, this gaming brand is a great way to sell a premium devices without competing with the thinner margins regular lineup (which is what they did for their laptops).

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah this phone has caught my eye. I’m not interested in gaming on it either, but it appears to be the most powerful phone, spec-wise, and CHEAPER than other high-end phones. And it has a headphone jack. The only thing missing for me is wireless charging.

I also like the fact that it is zero compromise. It has top and bottom bezels - and therefore no notch or cutout - because that is better for holding it horizontally. Function first. Apple could learn a thing or two!

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
As a lover of big OLED screens, I'm very keen on getting some hands on with this one. Look at it here next to the Note 10+. The Note is considered a beast but it looks almost scared next to the ROG II :D

The Note screen is very slightly wider, but that extra width is for me negated by the curves which the ROG II screen luckily doesn't have. And thanks to the bezels, the ROG II seems to have a longer effective (without notch/hole punch disturbance) screen length. I want my phone to be the best pocket cinema possible and it looks like the ROG II might become the top dog in that category among practically all currently existing phones.

Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 21.03.54.png
Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 21.04.09.png

Reactions: Tsepz and kazmac

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Well looks like this phone will release globally by end of September. I also am wondering how much all of the extra accessories will cost. Can’t wait though.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
MKBHD approves, mostly.

Yeah his review alone will sell a ton of units. I'm leaning towards purchasing this phone even more now but skeptical of Asus customer and repair service should I ever need it for this phone.
I don't really play Mobile games but the specs and 120Hz OLED screen jump out.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
In the past I generally haven’t paid too much attention to niche devices like this as they haven’t tended to be good all around performers and suffered from some compromised performance (ie. camera) but this phone has peaked my interest. I’m not really a mobile gamer but the specs seem pretty impressive, especially the 120Hz display and 6000 mAh battery :eek:.

Short of knowing the quality of the camera and an ever so slight knock on the screen resolution, all the other boxes seem to be ticked—well, at least on my checklist. ;)

• Flat OLED display with no notch and symmetrical bezels that aren’t huge and an insane refresh rate
  • Latest CPU
  • Copious amounts of RAM and storage
  • Giant battery
  • Quality cashiers sensors, front and back, including an ultra-wide lens
  • In display fingerprint sensor
  • Dual USB C ports :eek: with fast charging
  • Dual front facing speakers
  • STOCK ANDROID!
The design is a touch gaudy but not as over the top as the original ROG phone. Otherwise, on paper, this looks like a beast.

Anyone else interested?

THE ROG PHONE II

1563611353376.jpg
Did you get it?
Nice phone, no doubt...

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Really nice looking phone.

Nearly all of the reviews on YouTube are positive

Snapdragon 855+
12gb Ram
512gb UFS3.0
120hz Refresh Rate
6000 mah battery which may last 2 to 3 days without charging again.
RGB lighting

All the above for a cheaper price than the competition.

Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.