Asus Tranformer - Why it sold out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mac.World, May 3, 2011.

1. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

And now we know why Asus was such a huge hit and sold out. Asus only had 10,000 units available on launch day and that's all they plan to produce each month, citing shortages of parts, but failing to indicate which ones.

I'm sure Apple will take the blame, although all these wanna-be tablets should have learned the 6 "P"s: Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. slopokdave macrumors member

Yes because there were plenty if ipad2s available.... /s

3. saving107, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't understand why the general consumer worries so much about sales figures and market shares, to me its useless information that doesn't add any extra value to my product.

So what if the Asus Tranformer only made/sold 10,000 units, it doesn't make the iPad 2 any better of a device and it doesn't make the Asus Tranformer any less of a product. I made my choice to buy an iPad because that is what fit my needs/wants from a product and I had the money to upgrade, and that was my choice and my opinion was not guided because the iPad was forecasted to sell X million units.

Also, Apple purchased a bulk of the material in advance because it had the cash to do and they were smart to do so, why would they get blamed for creating a shortage? It was a smart strategic move on Apples part to secure the necessary components to meet their demands, though the demand turned out to be greater than the supply.

4. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Thank god. I feel so much better about my decision to buy an ipad now that I know Asus didn't actually make a product worthy of selling out on its own. Thanks, OP!!!!

5. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I never give fracks away. Too rare. If I come across one I hoard it. Have a big box of them now, and it is getting quite heavy. :D

As for the thread topic, I've got one of the Asus Transformers on order. I don't care much why no-one has any in stock, but I do care that I could only pre-order one and will have to wait two weeks on average before anyone would promise to ship one. Specs actually look pretty good, but I've been fooled by specs before. I suspect the first batch sold out so quick because it looked like the most current set of specs one could buy for an android tablet. IPS Gorilla glass capacitive multitouch screen, Android 3.0, 5.0mp back camera, USB and microSD slots, etc.. When it arrives I'll be doing an iPad2 vs ASUS showdown on my blog. I'm pretty impressed with my iPad2 so far. Hope the ASUS can at least put on a good show.

7. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

More units sold = more customers = more developers = more apps. So these numbers do matter.

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

It was sold out before best buy even opened, I wanted one,

9. princealyy macrumors regular

As much as I enjoy my iPad I think it is idiotic for anyone to basically think there needs to be no competition ... All this development that iOS is doing today is being drive. Heavily due to competition from other competitors...

If there was no treo or earlier blackberries showing there was a demand for this level of mobile computing we would have to iPhone.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

iPad is the premier tablet and will be for a long time. It's going to be similar to what happened with the iPod. I agree with analysts who say that there's not really a large tablet market, but rather a large iPad market.

Leo Laporte said it best on iPad Today a couple of weeks ago.....this is the computer that Steve Jobs set out to make back when he started Apple. A computer for everyone--a computer that you don't have to be a geek to use.

I think it's going to be huge. So don't worry about the "other" tablets for now.

11. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Haha!

12. lilo777 macrumors 603

"Premier tablet"? Are you sure? Because some tablets have better screen resolution, more RAM, much better cameras, LTE. Samsung tablets will have all that and be thinner and lighter than iPad. iPad has it's benefits but it is hardly a premier tablet. It's a mass market device.

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

If the iPad isn't THE premier tablet in the market I don't know what is. Come on broham, you really think that?

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm not sure it was "worry" the thread was about. It is just a natural related interest from my point of view. I'm always open to see what the electronics industry can come up with. Still waiting for a more efficient UI than the iPad/iOS devices have. Open an email with a web link and one touch will make both android and iOS happily takes me into a web browser and the link. In android though one tap of the back arrow will take me back to my email. On the iPad it either takes a double tap on Home and another tap on email, or two taps: Home then mail. I doubt it will ever happen, but iOS could certainly use a couple more buttons (BACK for one) next to that single HOME button. It'll only be the android competition that might make them go there. Android 3.0 gets rid of fixed buttons altogether and puts them on the screen where they can always be in the bottom left corner (or wherever you prefer them) no matter how the screen is rotated.

15. rworne macrumors 6502

Sounds like Ticketmaster

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

Sure I do. Samsung Galaxy 8.9 ad 10.1 look like much better tablets. Even XOOM is better than iPad in many respects.

17. tc3jg macrumors member

The problem is all those tablets dont run iOS and that is where the difference lies. Apples OS simply works and it does on minimal guts which for some reason people dont understand. I see the added screen res being a bonus but if thats killing battery and or over the long run making the device run slower then it will be a suck arse user experience and that is where apple wins the race.

It works its easy and is a good experience for the user. That is in regards to the product and the after purchase support.

18. Igantius macrumors 65816

Would you be able to provide a link about this?

All the stories I've seen that production could be as low as 10,000 per month have cited unnamed sources, but I haven't seen any that claimed that only 10,000 were available on launch day.

Asus has dismissed these rumors and have said any delays aren't related to parts shortage - http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/5/3/asus-denies-eee-pad-transformer-parts-shortages/#ixzz1LJ2LzQwG

19. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

^^^ I just copied a few that popped up right away from a Google search. And of course Asus is going to deny they can't produce tablets. Duh. Unfortunately for Asus, facts show there aren't any of their tablets available and there weren't many to begin with. Asus can deny the facts, but it just makes them look stupid in the end. Besides, the shelf life of this tablet expires in less than 30 days anyway.

http://androidnerds.net/2011/05/02/...rtage-retail-supply-drops-to-10000-per-month/

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/05/03/asus-eee-pad-transformer-limited/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Tablet-in-Short-Supply-197714.shtml

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/...ld-out-sounded-better-than-awaiting-delivery/

20. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

:eek: Could it be? A reasonable response to a topic about an iPad competitor on an Apple forum?!

*faints*

(+1)

21. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

That's excatly the point that Apple always tries to make, the user experience. Anybody can slap together a computer/tablet pc/mp3 player, it's what Apple adds (or doesn't add) in the software that makes it an item that we want.

22. Igantius macrumors 65816

Thanks for those links, they don't completely correspond with your opening post - e.g. there were less than 100,000 units on launch day, rather than 10,000 – but they were worth a look.

23. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Better to who and in what respects? The average consumer does not care about specs, they care about the experience, and reliability of the device. The devices you listed may be better on paper, but how does that translate to the consumer? More apps? Faster Apps? Better sync? More music or videos? How about games? There is more to be the premier tablet then the specs on paper. The IPad is number one for good reason, they have figured out most if not all the angles, and they have upgraded the product line to keep an interest.

The competitors are great for IPad users, It keeps Apple moving forward, but to be honest they do a pretty good job of moving themselves forward. Before the IPAD there was no Tablet market. The IPAD has taken over the e-reader market (In on day of sales). Would Apple continue to innovate without the competition, history says yes.

The other tablets may make a different product that specs out better, but if the general public is not interested then it is all for not. If the other tablets are going to be serious competitors, they need to meet Apple on common ground, it the user experience that counts.

Apple has laid the ground work with Magazine companies, Book publishers, Movie studios, and TV networks. They are the premier Multimedia devices.

Android has potential, but it is not in the same class as of yet.

And for all the Android lovers out there I have an Android phone, I use it every day, It has serious issues and the user experience does not even come close to even my original Apple IPOD Touch from 4 years ago. Apple has been dominating the Touch screen device market for years, they have years of experience and apps. They have had the time to listen to the user base, and develop robust interfaces. Can Android get there, of course they can, but it is going to take time.

24. rav16 macrumors member

I played with the Acer tablet today and I still don't understand why people are singing songs about honeycomb it's laggy, ugly and boring to it's best. iOS is simple ,fluid and just fun to easy. I was really excited about honeycomb but after playing with it today iam super glad that I bought iPad 2 on the launch day here in India . iPad has all the reasons to be the king of tablets at least today.

25. rworne macrumors 6502

Simple: because it's *not* Apple. I know I'm singing to the choir here, but you are discussing religion and no one expects it to make sense.

Back in the 90’s it was Microsoft that took all the lumps. People went to Apple because it was nonconformist. Now Apple is conformist and trendy - so where do they go now?

Android