ASUS USB-AC56 Adapter on Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by noahmateen1234, Jan 7, 2014.

1. noahmateen1234 macrumors member

I am waiting for my Mini in the mail(tomorrow finally) and I will be using it for a HTPC running XBMC. As of now I will just plug in my externals directly to the Mini. However, in the near future I am planning on building a server that will house all my media in it. I plan to purchase the Asus RT-AC68 Router and attach the server directly to it via gigabit Ethernet. Since my server might be kinda loud/big to have in my living room that would require that I move my router to where the server is. I don't want to stream 1080p video via wireless-N and since the Mini only has that, would buying the ASUS USB-AC56 be a good option to upgrade the wireless on my Mini?

It says it is compatible, I am just wondering if anyone has used it and could tell me their thoughts.

2. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

If you plan on using your Mac Mini as a server, I would suggest getting an Apple Extreme.

3. noahmateen1234 thread starter macrumors member

No I will be building my own server, and the ASUS router is faster than the Apple from every benchmark/review I've seen.

4. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

When you say you'll build your own server, are you saying you're NOT using Apple Server 3.0...you'll write your own server software!

I use a combination of Mikrotik and Apple Extreme routers with the Mac Mini and Server 3.0.

5. noahmateen1234 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to use Windows Home Server most likely, maybe possibly use OSX Server if I change my mind.