Asus ZenWatch2

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, May 31, 2015.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The first Asus smartwatch was nice, clean, simple and elegant. I was hoping for more of the same. Not this. Feels like Asus tried to copy the Apple Watch... and failed.

Link to article in full on Android Police: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-selfie-and-new-zenpad-tablets-in-four-sizes/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

4. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

The bigger one looks far nicer than the Apple Watch imo. The crown isn't that cool though, especially not in gold :/

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

I guess Asus was in a contest with Pebble for who could have the biggest bezel on their smartwatch. Wtf were they thinking?!

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Yeah the dark grey looks way better than apple, the design is nice - looks more like a watch (because apple watch, especially with white bands!, reminds me about homes for seniors and "press this to call help" device around the wrist rather than a watch.). But that knob is ridiculous. The button doesnt fit to the rest of the design. And that bezel! Just no! Are they going to sell stickers that you can put on your watch face? Flowers, stars, text, pics of your friends?

Im only trying to imagine how good that design would look as rounded, a circular face and the same design without a huge bezel.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wow and people complain about the bezels on Apple Watch. :eek:

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What makes it look "far nicer"? Also these two photos are renders and I've found with almost every Android Wear watch the renders always look better than the product in real life.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Just when I though a smart watch couldn't be uglier than the Apple Watch Asus has to show me I'm wrong

10. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

mrex described it very well:

I even think the original ZenWatch looks much nicer than the Apple Watch. But I agree that this new one has way too much bezel.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/0...-in-two-sizes-with-ip67-rating/#disqus_thread

I'm not saying they're copying the Apple Watch -- Android Wear did come first and Asus did have a decent looking smartwatch on the market before the Apple Watch was released. However, they are, IMHO, looking to duplicate the marketing formula used by Apple.

Two sizes, different finishes (including "rose gold") and multiple band offerings right down to the press shot of a shiny stainless steel watch and mesh band.

Thoughts?

12. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Whilst imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this facsimile just makes the Apple Watch look better to me. Just goes to show that you need quality designers to bring the 'x-factor'.

13. flur macrumors 68000

I think you can legitimately say they're copying the AW, and poorly. The giant obvious bezel around the screen is ghastly.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't know how I feel about this.

Maybe apple inspired their device, but apple didn't create the first rose gold watch or multi size and they don't really look similar so can't really say asus copied them.

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

There's something about that dark grey version that I find appealing.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sorry don't agree. The bezels on this thing are a huge turnoff. At least Apple has tried to make the interface and bezels blend so they're not as noticible. And I'll bet if you held one of these and an Apple Watch in your hand the difference in quality would be immediately noticible.

17. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

It does have couple things that have been inspired by the Apple watch. They all copy Apple products. Nothing new. You will see by the end of the year, a lot of Android watches will be released, and you will be able to see things they copied from Apple Watch.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I don't think the watch itself is really a copy of the Apple Watch but some of the marketing around it definitely is. That one minute video definitely reminded me of the Apple Watch announcement video.

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The I'll say it...they're blatantly copying the Apple Watch, or at least the Apple Watch 'formula'.

No, it doesn't look exactly like the AW but it's quite similar as the shape of the watch case. And yes, of course watchmakers have offered various sizes of traditional watches but Apple was the first in the smartwatch game to offer multiple sizes of the same watchand these mimic those near exactly (save for the 1mm size differences).

I also find it strangely coincidental that they now have a rose gold offering and they've changed their charging from a dock to 'a magnetic charger that snaps onto the ZenWatch 2’s backside for quick charging,' moving away from their charging dock.

Listen, I don't really care if they copy Apple--likely means Apple is doing something right if others adopt their designs or strategy. Hell, Apple has certainly taken inspiration for many things from other manufacturers and their designs. I just hope OEMs could have an original thought, strive to improve upon what's already been done and actually try to give us something new rather than just regurgitate something in the hopes of reproducing someone else success (and this goes for Apple as well).

20. apolloa, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

My thoughts are that to accuse Asus of copying Apple because of watch sizes is to choose to then totally ignore every single watch that's ever been sold if a plethora of different sizes before Steve Jobs was even born, let alone the launch of the Apple 'watch', and to ignore the fact Apple completely copied the whole different size idea from the existing watch market! Its a ludicrous and ridiculous desperate assumption your trying to make here!

Apple did not invent the watch, or the smart watch, or the watch or smart watch market.

If you lot are going to be ridiculous enough to make this absurd statement, then Apple has absolutely no right in using the word 'watch' in the name if its device.

21. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Is anyone really surprised by this? I expected it from Samsung 1st though
    What's the price point anyway?

22. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Are you saying that Apple copied Pebble with the magnetic charger? Or that only applies to other companies that are not Apple.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Reading this thread mate I think people would start to claim Apple invented magnets!!

24. Vegastouch, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Who cares! You know how many different manufacturers watches look similar? Get a grip people!

25. lazard macrumors 65816

Didn't realize Apple was the first to introduce different size watches to the masses. As for materials, there's not many options when it comes to watches...plastic, stainless steel, and precious metals (gold, platinum, etc).