At a crossroad, need advice.. see inside

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dodderdodder, Jul 5, 2014.

1. dodderdodder macrumors newbie

I have a feb 2011 macbook pro I7, upgraded to 8 gigs ram and the matte high res screen.. now.. couple days ago I did a SECURITY SYSTEM UPDATE from Apple and when it reset my machine the screen went black and I cant get it back on .. no SMC, no NVRAM reset.. nothing is working... so I am assuming the logic board / videocard is toast.. now even thou Apple has great customer care I am assuming the worst and they will say .. too bad too sad kinda deal. I managed to get the HDD into a 2.5" enclosure on my PC and got all my files off the drive. So that is good...

my question is: would you buy another Macbook pro again versus a PC laptop.. I used my macbook pro for everything daily .. my PC I only use for day trading (I am a stock trader) .. simply because I use three 27" monitors and need the PC tower / computing power

I spent roughly $2400 on the macbook last go around.. that is a serious chunk of coin.. and to be honest.. over the years I havent been to happy the way Apple is headed as a company.. I have never owned a Iphone and never will (android all the way).. The prices on macbooks seem way outta price point compared to PC laptops.. I just enjoy the OSX software over windows anyday.. but is that enough to justify the $1000 price difference

Thoughts?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

re [[ Thoughts? ]]

Is there an Apple Store nearby?
    Have you taken it to them?
    What did they say?

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you already have a powerful desktop, how about just go for a MacBook Air this time around?

4. dodderdodder thread starter macrumors newbie

frey: yeah thats what im leaning towards..

I will take it to the store regardless, or if I can get one of the local repair shops to do it for $500 or so.. might be worth it..

Never worked on a air machine.. are they actually decent machines??? the specs seem weak

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Specs are lower, but remember that it is driving a screen with ~1/4 the pixels...so speed is pretty comparable to the 13" pro.