At a loss: tried everything - 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TijmenDal, Apr 6, 2013.

1. TijmenDal macrumors member

Hi,

I have been trying to install a Windows partition through about every possible way now.
    I have a legal version of Windows (DVD).

First I tried making an ISO of the image (on a different computer) and then burning that to a USB. I have tried with 2 different ones, both don't work (don't show up in EFI and they give the 'No bootable device - press any key to continue' error.)

After that I figured I'd buy an external optical drive to read my DVD (I swapped out my optical drive for a second HDD), but then when it should start rebooting, it loads the Windows kernel, but after that it EJECTS the disc...

I also made an ISO through the optical drive I bought and made a bootable USB with that file - just to be sure. I modified the string of my Boot Camp so the 'Create a Windows 7 install disk' option is available too.

What do I do, because I can't think of anything.
    I especially don't understand why the USB thing isn't working. I formatted them and tried both the GUID partition as well as Master boot records partition scheme's. But I guess that shouldn't even matter, considering boot camp formats the drives for you.
    I can't find anything about the DVD being ejected upon the Windows startup either...

Any help is appreciated?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It expects the Windows DVD to be loaded from it's internal SuperDrive.

3. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

I got the press any key to boot screen as well. I rebooted, held down option and booted into the usb stick
    Please note though i did this yesterday and since then i havent been able to get audio through windows. Im running windows 8 but there isnt much difference apparently

4. TijmenDal thread starter macrumors member

I tried doing that, but both USB sticks don't show up in the EFI either...

5. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

So have you partitioned it yet?

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Which is by design. You have to install Windows from the SuperDrive.

7. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

I did the .plist change and installed from USB. The option is built into bootcamp, its just that its disabled for most macs

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

All doing the .plist file change does is un-gray the USB checkbox. You're either extraordinarily lucky or are not telling the truth because that trick doesn't work for the overwhelming majority of owners.

9. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

The new bootcamp changed the .plist file a bit, so I used a newer guide to do it. If i remember the website ill post a link.