At my wit's end! Jailbreak for 3GS impossible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dellavoce, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dellavoce macrumors regular

So, now that I have my new iPhone 4, I am selling my 3GS. The buyer I found, however, requires it to be jailbroken and unlocked. Shouldn't be a problem, right? I have jailbroken things before (including this phone). The problem? I can't seem to get anything to work! It currently has iOS 4.0, so I tried the pwnage tool, created a custom ipsw, but couldn't get the iPhone to restore to it. I tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 by downloading the ipsw file and restoring from iTunes. No dice. It always says it can't do the restore. I checked my boot file, it's the old one, so there shouldn't be a problem with that. I just don't know what the problem is! I'm on a mac by the way...

2. tehreflex macrumors 6502

In order to downgrade, you need to either have an SHSH saved on Cydia (Saurik's) server or have obtained it using another program while using a previous firmware version. Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode and then restoring the custom firmware?

3. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Apple stopped signing firmware other than iOS4. If you need to downgrade you'll have to have your SHSH on file and then point your hosts file to Saurik's server instead of Apple's.

4. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

You can't downgrade unless you've previously saved your SHSH files to Cydia while you still were on 3.1.3. Apple now requires the iPhone to validate the install via the iTunes server, which means you cannot downgrade to previous iOS versions unless you saved your SHSH files.

With the iTunes update, you can't jailbreak iOS4 using PwnageTool unless your iPhone was previously running jailbroken (not Spirit) 3.1.2/3 firmware. Apple's "validation" process makes sure that all firmware installed to iPhones are official and custom firmwares will not be allowed to run.

Basically, if your iPhone wasn't jailbroken already and you already upgraded to Official iOS4, you're unforunately SOL.

5. dellavoce thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that explains the problem! I wonder, what if I tried to restore to an older firmware while running an older version of iTunes?

6. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

It won't work unless you have your SHSH saved to Saurik's server. The 3GS requires all IPSW's to be signed, and Apple no longer does for 3.1.3 or older.

7. LostTitan macrumors newbie

n/b here... so how do you save your SHSH to Saurik's server?

I am currently running version 3.0.1 (7A400) with Modem Firmware 04.26.08. I have never unlocked or jailbroken the iphone but want to leave this possibility open before upgrading to iOS 4.

I just want to make sure I am able to go back to this version since the iPhone seems to be worth more with firmware 04.26.08 (not sure why though).

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Can't you just jailbreak with blackra1n and unlock with ultrasn0w without a restore?

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

SHSH's can only be saved while Apple is still validating them, so as of today the only ones which can be newly saved are iOS4. In Cydia all you have to do is click the "Make my life easier" there's also a few other ways to do it as well, you can find them easy with google.

10. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Check out the guide on here with the flow diagram, you might have a new bootrom which there is no jailbreak for yet!!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its impossible at the moment if you didnt save your SHSH's before for firmware 3.1.3 and you're already updated to 4.0