At my wits end with ATV not connecting to library

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kjvi5, Sep 25, 2014.

1. kjvi5 macrumors member

I know this is a problem that lots of people have had and I am at my wits end trying to solve it.

Every day I turn on the ATV's I get the "Cannot connect to XXXX Library, please check, etc.". Every time I have to go to my computer, turn off itunes, and then turn it back on again.

We have multiple ATV's in the house (2nd and 3rd Gen). All are hard wired to our Airport Extreme router, via an ethernet switch and all set to home share with my Imac.

I have tried all of the following suggestions that according to other threads has worked for other folks:
    1) Updating all software on all ATV's.
    2) Assigning static IP's for all devices including my main computer with the itunes library on it.
    3) Setting my main computer with my itunes library on it to not sleep.
    4) Setting all my ATV's to not sleep
    5) Resetting all ATV's to factory resets and then setting up again.
    6) Turning of IPV6
    7) Turning Home share off and then on again by entering password on all devices and computers.

I'm about ready to throw each and every one of them away and try a Roku or something. Anyone who has ANY other suggestions would be most appreciated.

I used to have this problem on one or the other ATV every once in a while. But now it is every single day.

2. creativet macrumors member

creativet

Just simply restart the aTV.

This has happened to my 3 every now and then. It's simply because it doesn't keep an active connection 24/7. If there is any interruption (i.e. restart of the mac, noise of wifi signal) it will loose the connection.

3. kjvi5 thread starter macrumors member

Does not work. Tried this. And I'm o.k. with every once in a while, but when it happens every single day it's a bit much.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I don't need my computer on 24/7 so I turn it off every night and have iTunes in my startup items list and it restarts every morning. Don't know if that fits your usage needs, and it's not a true fix, but it works.

5. kjvi5 thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a shot, but I'm doubtful. In fact just re-starting itunes only fixes the one I have turned on at that moment. In other words, if our bedroom ATV gives me the error, I go to our main computer and restart itunes and then the library shows up.

If I think go to my living room ATV and turn it on, I will get the error and have to do a separate, all-new restart of itunes to get that one working.

I'll give it a try though. Nothing to lose.

6. jdblas69 macrumors regular