At my wits end with macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bossworld, May 15, 2009.

1. Bossworld macrumors member

Bought my macbook in August 2006 with the addition Applecare plan. All was well til about 13 months in (just after the end of the original warranty)

1st problem - started having bluetooth not available. Took it into Apple, had it repaired
    2nd problem - started having issues shutting it down. Hard drive then died on me (luckily had backed up 10 days before!)
    3rd problem - bluetooth acting up yet again despite new logic board and bluetooth.

After a fair bit of email conversation, and after taking the machine to an AASP to get it looked over, a helpful representative from Apple arranged to have my machine swapped out, and in Jan 2008 I received a brand new Santa Rosa 2.2 (they also moved the apple care cover over to the new machine).

Yet again, after around 13 months.

1) the plastic around the wristpad just came off the other day. Emailed the lady back and she just told me to take it in for the repair
    2) i'm now getting the bluetooth not available errors again, on the new machine.
    3) there are several hairline cracks around the back of the machine

It's only really used as a desktop replacement, I've got an Apple keyboard and logitech mouse plugged in, as well as my 22" LG screen. I can't understand how bad the build quality is on these machines, I see i'm not alone in experiencing the same problems.

Have I got any kind of case for another replacement, even if just a refurb? I've emailed the representative again so awaiting a reply, but I've lost faith in this model, it's not fit for its purpose. If it fails again after August 2009 then I'm completely out on my own - last time the logic board was replaced I was told it would have cost £500 had it not been for Applecare.

2. DPB17 macrumors 6502

That's some pretty bad luck you've got there. I would bring it in and explain to the rep your situation and you should have no problems.

3. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

I have to agree here- you have had some rotten luck. This has to be a classic example of why people should buy applecare- its not even worth cosidering how much you would of had to pay if you had not got it

4. Bossworld thread starter macrumors member

Well I've just had a phone call, she's told me to take it in and she'll get the repair escalated, but no chance of a replacement at this stage.

To be honest i'd take one of the original C2D MBPs over the macbook at this stage, though knowing my luck the 8600 would die on me :rolleyes: ;)

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

There isn't anything you can do about the top case cracking or the bottom case hairline cracks. It's normal. Buy something else if you don't like it. It's not the end of the world. Did you ever consider that your bluetooth issue is with software?

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

maybe that guy that was shipped two MBPs will sell you his extra on the cheap

7. Bossworld thread starter macrumors member

:rolleyes: You got the £900 that this machine cost me in order to replace it? Why should I buy something else, my problem is that these cannot be expected to last more than around 15 months, whereas 2-3 years would still be a very liberal estimate of how long you'd expect it to last.

Re: the casing - I don't see how a design defect is normal, even at the extremities of fanboyism. I can only assume that you're trolling. For apple to offer a repair to the casing without having even seen it shows some admittance of a design flaw.

The bluetooth is a hardware failure, hence it being replaced in the first machine. It seems to be a failure of some component in the USB system, as they're all part of the same bus. For it to happen three times is rare, but a hardware issue nonetheless - they were able to replicate the fault at the service centre. Besides, if you go into BootCamp, the same issue is evident there.

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's normal?? It never occurred to me that today was the 1st of April. It's a manufacturing fault that Apple admitted to. Stop spreading mis-information.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple will still replace the top casing of the MacBook for free, I suggest you take it into Apple everytime these hairline cracks appear.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree- it's far from normal. I've had a 2.4 black MacBook for 15 months now with no cosmetic issues whatsoever. Take it to Apple.

11. Bossworld thread starter macrumors member

Yup, as said it's going in ASAP, i'll have to ask about the bluetooth again, if it's a logic board issue i'll have to email back again I reckon.

12. Bossworld thread starter macrumors member

Just received it back, they've swapped that top case and cleaned it, feels much nicer now. They've also changed the bluetooth board.

Apparently Apple won't cover any cracks on the bottom casing, it's all assumed to be the owner's fault :rolleyes:

13. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Are you for real ?

You can do something about plastic MacBooks cracking cases........take/send it to Apple and they will replace it no questions asked......

Are you normal ?

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Thats horrible luck. My Macbook Pro has been issue free for over a year. Sounds to me like you have had dud after dud. I know lots of people with white Macbook's from 2006-2007 and haven't had issues. Hopefully you don't think they were all made like that, because plenty of them have had no issues, or at the most 1 time issues.

15. cheeryble macrumors regular

I'm not the least surprised.

I loved my iBook but two logic board replacements, CD player buggered etc etc.

Now my Macbook two new HDs and a swollen battery replaced. When I got the last HD I met someone in the shop....and this is Chiangmai Thailand not NYC.....having exactly the same problem (it's acknowledged).....and told a guy that evening it had happened to him the day before.

Re the cracks there is an acknowledged fault which is cracking around the edges outside the keyboard and they will replace the whole thing that's another thing I had done twice!
    The case around the screen is visibly curved....not much but the sort of thing which would get an auto production designer fired (unless he worked for GM). Guess that's why they are trying solid aluminium.

Bon Chance

Cheeryble