At&t 3G coverage NY/NJ ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Strom1, May 9, 2011.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

How good is the AT&T coverage in these parts of the NY/NJ area. Specifically Orange County NY, Catskills and Sussex NJ and the surrounding areas?

Anyone with first hand experience?

2. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Where's all the AT&T 3G Upstate NY's at?:D

Looking to here some opinions before I pull the trigger?

3. MallCop macrumors 6502

I live in warren county nj and AT&T coverage is actually better than Verizon. I switched to the verizon iPhone in january so I could go on a family plan and get free service compared to the $100 a month with AT&T but Im actually regretting it. Data speeds are really slow and I drop calls all the time with verizon but never with att.

4. chazmink macrumors member

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

AT&T > Verizon... My neighbors have verizon and needed to get a microcell-like device so they don't drop calls. I have AT&T and get 4-5 bars with 3G wherever I am... and I go to up to NYC all the time.

6. kleinias macrumors regular

I've recently traveled quite a bit all over parts of NY (especially Manhattan) and my Verizon coverage was excellent. I was constantly using the phone (a few calls but mostly for data coverage) and I never had an issue. I always received great coverage and reasonably good data speeds.

That said, my colleagues with AT&T iPhones never seemed to have an issue either. When we travel through parts of the Western US (especially California), that's where I notice AT&T (I used to have an AT&T iPhone 4) often is lacking in coverage, while Verizon has a clear advantage. Of course, this all depends on the specific areas you live and travel most in, I'm pretty sure that both AT&T and Verizon typically have reasonably good coverage in most parts of the US.

7. swy05 macrumors 6502

Live in Northern NJ.

Worked in midtown and downtown NYC.

AT&T is terrible. Massive dropped calls, calls that don't even dial out, data that does not work even though it shows 3G reception. When I'm in Manhattan, the GPS barely even works.

Now, it could be the iPhone4 that is the culprit. But either way, it's either AT&T or the iPhone4 that is garbage. And at the end of the day, I have an iphone4 that does not work well at all.

Funny thing is when I go out into the boonies, the coverage and data are flawless. Could very well just be that the northern NJ and Manhattan area is disgustingly congested that the service is garbage.