AT&T 3G Outage (Tri-state Area)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CKtoph, Jan 8, 2010.

1. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Been getting total junk 3G coverage in Philadelphia the past few days. Called AT&T today and they verified network issues in SE Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.

My wife has the 3GS and I have the 3G. Things seem ok when switching to EDGE, but even when on EDGE, I got a missed a call that apparently went straight to voicemail where I then got the actual voicemail about an hour after it was left.

I'm getting really sick of AT&T.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sometimes that's a good sign. Could mean an upgrade in the works.

A lot of times people complain about an area, then a few days later end up with improved performance.

Good luck, whichever! (Didn't want your post to go unanswered.)

3. marita macrumors newbie

marita

I was getting very spotty 3G coverage in the Tampa/St Pete area the day before. Was very odd, because my phone almost never drops to Edge. Wonder is it was system wide, not simply regional.

4. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I was getting spotty 3G yesterday for the first time ever. It was only at work. Other guys here with iPhones same thing. It's back to normal. Running much better than before too. I'm hoping it was an upgrade maybe to the 7.2.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I live right outside Philly, and I haven't experienced any network problems at all. Although my gf lives in Philly and we both have 3G's and I notice when we're in the city, the 3G speed is pretty bad. I'm at work now (about half hour from the city) and 3G is working fine for me.

That would be nice if AT&T is "upgrading" their network around the Philly area.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

i'm in NYC and here is the deal. AT&T has upgraded the towers to 7.2 HSPEFA or whatever but the routing is screwed up.

8am i do a speedtest in manhattan and i get around 2000. come 1pm it's in the double digits or no more than 200. i live in queens and used to get 1200 consistently and now it's 1/5 that if i'm lucky.

used the speedtest app and it tells you the external IP since iphones pick up a 10.x.x.x IP which is one of the private IPs. found an IP geolocation app in the app store and it said my external IP is just north of Wichita, Kansas. So this means that for now your data goes to the tower and all the way to Kansas before going to the Internet.

Next I used a ping app with trace route. my data hit a few routers in NJ, went to Florida, back to NJ and then back to the NYC IP I was trying to ping.

why the routing is so screwed up, i don't know. my guess is that they are running fiber to the towers and have to reroute traffic during the migration process.

i'm not a router person, just know a little since i work in IT. i just know that a project of this complexity including using third party tower companies will require a lot of rerouting of normal traffic while it's done

7. CKtoph thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be nice to get a little upgrade if that is what they're doing.

I work in the city and live out in the northwest suburbs. Coverage was terrible out at the house but fine in the city until about 3-4pm yesterday especially. Dropped calls every other call and at one point couldn't make any calls, period.

Honestly I felt like I was filming a commercial for Verizon for a short time there it was getting so ridiculous...at least AT&T gave me some reimbursement on my upcoming bill for the inconvenience.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Ironically enough, when my gf purchased her 3G iPhone, we constantly started getting dropped calls each night we talked. When she had her old LG flip phone, we had no problems whatsoever. And 3G coverage is quite ridiculous in the city. However, there are a good amount of wi-fi hot spots that I connect to (as long as they aren't locked). And that helps when you're trying to access data.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

There's an App for that.
    http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/07/atandt-releases-mark-the-spot-application-to-track-network-issues/

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Hey you can always go back to the cup/string method:

Get two dixie cups, cut a 1/8 hole in the center of the bottom, lace a string from one cup to the other, tie and knot, pull tight and talk, I bet you will be able to

Hear Me Now :D

11. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I've been having spotty 3G in South Jersey but I did a SpeedTest today and got 2.1 mb/s of download speed so I was pretty happy about that little bump.