AT&T 3G outtages in PA (Phila) area?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brentg33, Sep 28, 2009.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

I am currently in suburban Phila (Newtown) and have not been able to get email or on the internet via 3G today. I called At&T and they said that they are experiencing outtages in Western PA, though I am not in Western PA. I was going to just accept that it was affecting this area as well, but my friend at work who has a 3GS as well is experiencing no 3G issues at all...can someone explain that?

thanks

2. socbrian macrumors regular

Was in media before, Edge was working and still working here in west chester... ill turn 3g on and test in a min

**Update**
    3g working with me

try restarting, reseating your sim, toggle airplane mode, and if not call ATT again haha

3. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I'm currently in Lansdale and both phone and internet are working fine (and have been all day) via 3G for me.

5. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Center City

Seems to be working fine in Center City... which is refreshing, since 3G is usually sluggish this time of the day and it doesn't seem to be at all relatively speaking...

6. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried a restart and toggled airplane mode off and on. Still no luck. I have recieption 5 bars, indicates 3G but when i check for mail it states "could not activate cellular data network" where again is the reset sim pref?

7. socbrian macrumors regular

you cant reset the sim, just take it out and put it back in. thou that will prob not fix it, its worth a shot. and it seems like the tower your connected to overloaded with people. have you moved around yet today or u been trying in the same spot?

8. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Lehigh Valley PA here, just north of Philly. No data service at ALL yet today. Thought it was just me, called, problems happening I guess. For me, this has been since very early this morning, maybe pre 6am, and still going on now at 2pm.

9. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks rotlex, guess we are in the same boat. Strange that someone else in my office with a 3GS has no issues at all...wouldnt we be using the same tower? Anyways, to answer another question, have not moved today for the most part. Just Newtown, PA.

10. kashkha macrumors member

I work in southern NJ (close to Trenton) and I've had absolutely no data service all day today. I can make phone calls just fine, but can't connect to the internet.

11. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its really strange, just checked with another co-worker with another 3GS, same office...no problems. very strange.

12. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

13. ericshu macrumors newbie

Maybe it is just the crappy AT&T service working as designed!:mad:

14. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess....just found another 3GS in the office...no issues...just mine....and i think all were updated to the latest carrier (MMS) settings.....i updated mine on friday, no issues till now.

15. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

for the lucky people like me who can not get any 3G connectivity, are all of you getting the same error as me when trying to get email? "Could not activate cellular data network"?

16. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Hmm... I'll try a full restore later this evening when
    I get home if data is down there as well. I live ~40 miles west of Norristown.

17. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Update to my previous post. Miraculously, services have appeared to start working again. Was sitting in an afternoon staff meeting, maybe 30 minutes ago, and got an e-mail notification. Tried other data services, all are up and running. At least for now! :D

18. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Was just about to post myself... Back up Norristown... Not sure exactly when it came up but is up now.

19. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

still in newtown, pa and still no different. getting same error when trying to get my email.....

20. deenybird macrumors regular

all's been working well out here in lancaster (guthriesville).

21. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

3G was fine all day in Manayunk.

Yesterday was a different story. I was at the Eagles game and couldn't even get service. AT&T is a joke any time there's a huge crowd of people.

22. swr2000 macrumors member

No kidding. I struggle at Phillies games.

23. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I've been in Delaware County all day and I haven't had any trouble with my 3GS. Although internet on everything, Phone, and office were slow earlier today around 5 or so..

Agreed... It sucks while at games... i always like to check (especially this time of year) MLB At Bat for the scores of the other important games...