AT&T 7-14 Day iPhone 3GS backorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matts1501, Jul 20, 2009.

1. matts1501 macrumors member

matts1501

Has anyone else had to endure the terrible wait that is 7-14 days for their backordered iPhone 3GS at AT&T?

I would just walk into the Apple store and pick one up, but i've got a business account that only allows you to purchase through an AT&T corporate store.

Does it really take up to 14 days for delivery and why are the ATT stores so backordered when the Apple stores are all flush?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple stores will always have more stock. AT&T stores get a limited amount of phones per week.

3. matts1501 thread starter macrumors member

matts1501

Yes, but why? Especially when ATT is the only carrier?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's just how Apple seems to roll there. They've always had less stock and with certain restrictions you can imagine demand > supply.
    It is stupid but it's just how it is.

5. parth6512 macrumors member

ye i ordered mine last friday from apple. and they said its going to ship after 24th because they are in short supply right now. but if they get it early then they'll ship it right away. they ship from china.

6. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Still thin on supply?

Good for Apple.

I waited about 7 days for mine. You'll love it.

8. parth6512 macrumors member

When did you place your order and when did you get the phone delivered to your door? And what shipping method you used?

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have a premier account and I just walked into an AT&T store and picked mine up just the other day. :O Guess I got lucky?

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

What do you mean by a Business account? Do you mean you have a FAN account? I have a business account and got one from an Apple store. Took me like 5 minutes. I don't understand why there would be a problem.

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I think it was June 26, I know I recvd it July 3.

Ordered online thru Premier (FAN) account as an upgrade. Fedex 2-day was the only option.

I didn't even try the store option. I'm OCD that way, didn't want some hack ripping open that exquisite iPhone box*, stuff flying everywhere*, throwing the phone down on the table* while he set everything up before I was able to do it my way. (I upgraded Line 1 but was going to be using it on Line 2)

* I've seen that several times while in the Apple store

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

We have a business account and I also picked one up at the Apple Store.

13. parth6512 macrumors member

It really depends where you get the iphone from. If you go to AT&T store, you'll get it right away. But if you order it from Apple, which is what a lot have been doing lately, then you'll have to wait for the fresh once to come off the production line in China.

14. parth6512 macrumors member

Mine went from "Not yet Shipped" to "Prepared for Shipment". Hopefully, I'll get it by this friday.

15. Mjmar macrumors 65816

16. iOrlando macrumors 68000

ATT doesn't want to sell the phone in their stores. It's that simple

why?

Because ATT sales associates earn commissions on phones that they sell in-store. ATT would love it if you order the iphone from apple.com, or visit an apple store, walmart, best buy etc. Just in case you don't want to try any of those other locations, ATT will put up with paying commissions and sell you the phone in store, you just have to wait 1-2 weeks (and you can imagine the number of people who originally went to an ATT store for the iphone, only to say nvm when hearing there was a wait and go to another location).

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh the horror. Let's hope this is the hardest and most "terrible" thing you ever have to "endure" in your life...

18. hsk macrumors regular

Can you try a ATT store (or have you)? I called two local ATT stores and both had "some" - I bought one last night (16GB Black). They told me they were getting some daily now.

19. parth6512 macrumors member

I just got my tracking number from FedEX and its going to be delivered tomorrow. :)

20. TLewis macrumors 65816

Side note: mere mortals (including those on family plans who upgraded from older iPhones) who ordered through AT&T got automatic next-day delivery (delivered on release day!), but Premier members seemed to get 2-day only.

Also, as Apple stores seem to have more stock than AT&T, people should really check out Apple's iPhone availability web site (US-only):

(Of course, this assumes that you have an Apple store near you.)

21. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I didn't want to do the Apple Store.

I'm OCD that way.

I want to unbox it, do the activation and setup, especially when, while being in the store, I see that sanguine hack tear the box open, papers and components flying everywhere, whipping the plastic protector off the phone and then just dumping it on the desk. A $300+ article scratched before it even gets in the buyer's hand.

And to top it off, activating and doing everything before the buyer even knows what happened.

(in my case I upgraded line1 but was using the phone on line2, and I was carrying over my 750 txt msg package)

22. TLewis macrumors 65816

I understand, sorry. :D

That post was really intended for the other readers, here.

23. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

24. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yup, i read today that they can't keep up with the demand.. compare that to the "iPhone killer" that was expected to sell 117k per week and is selling 25k per week, while having 1 in 3 returned.. Palm Pre, it's intimidating! Buhahaha. :apple:

25. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

ouch. I was hoping they would do better to force Apple to release stuff NOW that should have ALREADY been released [​IMG]