AT&T Action Required

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 960design, Jun 20, 2014.

1. 960design macrumors 68020

A friend received this on his iPhone5:
    What is this about? He called and none of the replacement phone options were iPhones.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Is he still using EDGE by any chance? Also, what's the phone on record for his account?

3. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

No edge and he has 3 iPhones on his account: 4S, 5, 5C

The text was sent specifically to his iPhone5 and he said he received a letter saying the same. The iPhone5 is a corporate reimbursed asset. He gets the little corporate pricing discount and he receives a stipend for reimbursement on that specific phone, if that makes any difference.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Odd. None of those phones should need to be swapped out. I'm guessing he was sent this message in error. When he called, did the rep explain why his iPhone 5 needs to be replaced?

This typically happens when a carrier phases out obsolete spectrum or takes over another carrier. However, your friend is already on AT&T and the only thing they are decommissioning right now is EDGE (2G). This shouldn't affect the iPhone 5.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Maybe call the general customer service number for ATT and see if they know anything about it. Could be a spam text.

6. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I thought it was weird and since I'm the general tech guy he asked me.
    I said, "I have no idea but would ask smarter people." - MR geniuses

He said he would take into the local AT&T store to see what was up.

Thank you!