AT&T Activating MMS through Customer Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 17, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you're stressing about all those carrier files, and SSHing your iPhone and all don't worry about it anymore. I am on the phone with Customer Care (611 from your iPhone) and they are activating it with no problem. I'm guess they were just waiting for the official release before doing this.

Just make sure you clarify that you don't want to get the link to "viewmymessage.com" but you want them to send the MMS directly to your iPhone from now on.

Enjoy. - Eric

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wonder how long it will be before AT&T realizes that people are doing this and they switch everyone back.

3. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Why would they start switching everyone back if it's their policy to activate the MMS plans if requested? I believe they are going to activate MMS for everyone through the process described when we first learned that AT&T wouldn't support it until the end of summer, but they will activate it on a case by case basis if requested by the customer.

4. applerocks macrumors regular

You still need to install those carrier files so that your iPhone knows that you can MMS now. Even with MMS enabled on AT&T's end, your iPhone will not know that you can MMS (because the current carrier files are telling it "no").

Even with that change on AT&T's end, some people are still having trouble.

5. applerocks macrumors regular

One rep I talked to didn't even realize that Apple already added MMS...she said it was coming late summer. She was surprised to hear that it was already available in other countries. I don't think AT&T is "allowing" this just yet. There might be another system-wide update to put the kabosh on this yet again.

6. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

This isn't exactly the case. I've spoken to a number of reps, none of whom were able to get it working. And yes, they were aware of the 3.0 software and the "late summer" deal, but tried to help me out anyway.

7. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Well, all I can say is that I spoke to one and he needed some clarification a couple of times but he was able to activate it just fine.

8. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

That's great that it worked out for you, but there is still no sure fire way to get MMS working permanently for all cases. I wish it was that simple, otherwise, we wouldn't have a million posts with people still trying to figure out how to get it working.

9. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Even if you do get it working how will it work, they took the MMS button out!?

10. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Through the IPCC file you install through iTunes.